PDA

View Full Version : Dowitcher in the Fog

Mike Landwehr
04-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Taken at Tigertail Beach, on Marco Island, ten days ago. The fog was very thick that morning, and there were few birds around, so I only took a few shots before calling it quits. A heavy dose of levels revealed that the fog hid a lot of the color, but none of the detail, of this short-billed dowitcher. Some may not like the muted colors, but the image spoke to me. I like the near-sepia look, and the high-key background, that the fog provided. Perhaps you had to be there :) Any and all C & C welcome.

Cropped, applied levels, cloned out two beak tips along right edge, added just a touch of saturatiion, and sharpened.

1D Mark II N
500mm + 1.4x
ISO 200
1/125 @ f/5.6

Fabs Forns
04-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Very nice soft light and cast, if a little tight at bottom. The plumage on top of the head looks a bit washed out compared to the rest, or is it my old eyes playing tricks on me???

Mike Landwehr
04-05-2010, 04:22 PM
It must be the light, Fabs, as I didn't make any selective adjustments.

I did note, when I uploaded the image, that the uploaded image has a slight magenta cast that isn't there when viewing the same image with Bridge or Photoshop. Does that make any sense?

Fabs Forns
04-05-2010, 04:30 PM
You can try and set the color proof in your computer:

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2472

I saw the cast, but it sort of goes with the image.

Clemens Vanderwerf
04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I like the monotone coloring, but like to see a little bit more space on the left and right side of the frame. Maybe clean up the darker colors in the water on the right side behind the bird just above the ripples.

Peter Farrell
04-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I like your comp as is. I also like the pose and ruffled feathers. Very intent look on the bird as well.
Peter

Katie Rupp
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Mike, I like this for the same reasons you listed and I think the suggestions Clemens made would make it even better.