PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Tree

Morkel Erasmus
04-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey everyone...

This shot was taken on Saturday morning right before our whole Easter weekend went south as I had to rush my wife to hospital and we lost our baby at 5 weeks...as you can imagine it's been an emotional ride from then.
:(

Afterwards this tree made me think about the cycle of life and death. How many storms has it weathered? How many scars does it bear?

This is a 3-image HDR processed in Photomatix and Photoshop CS3.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f11 @ ISO-200
The sky was overcast with the sun behind the clouds right in my view so the high-key effect is intended.

I hope this is wide enough not to be considered a plant "close-up" hehe

Dave Mills
04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi Morkel, So very sorry to hear of your loss. I could only imagine your sorrow at losing the baby. Your comparison to the tree and life is quite fitting.Again, my sympathy to your wife and yourself...

Roman Kurywczak
04-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey Morkel,
My sympathies are with you and your wife in these trying times. Like that tree....you need to persevere. I am thinking of you borh in these tough times and sending only the best thoughts and prayers.
trees are some of my favorite subjects......like you I often wonder about what they have bore witness to! ...especially the redwoods and the baobobs! I really like the limb pattern along with the diagonal of the trunk. I may have preferred this with a bit more open space....to further emphasize the graphic element....but I think you did well with a very difficult subject.
Stay strong my friend!

Bob Miller
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey Morkel! Very sorry to hear of your loss. Like the tree you got to continue to grow! Nice detail in the tree and vines. Hang in There!

Morkel Erasmus
04-06-2010, 04:53 PM
appreciate it Bob, Roman & Dave!!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
04-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm really at a loss for words and wish you and your wife the best.

Morkel Erasmus
04-07-2010, 05:30 AM
thanks Curly...

Hilary Hann
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Morkel, I'm so sorry. You will experience a grief that will be felt by everyone who has suffered a similar loss.

I would love to comment on your tree but it isn't coming up for me. Maybe tomorrow, there is always a tomorrow!

Morkel Erasmus
04-11-2010, 11:23 PM
thanks Hilary! :)