PDA

View Full Version : Tiger

Giovanni Frescura
04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Hello
I am no sure about this photo and so ask you your option about.
The position isn't nice (for me) but the light could be ok...so how is this shoot ?
Thanks

Canon Mark III
1/200
iso 640
F.4,5
Canon 300 f.2,8 + extender 1x4

Steve Kaluski
04-05-2010, 12:49 PM
What are you looking for in feedback?

Steve:)

Giovanni Frescura
04-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I not understand what you mean...I am trying the opinion of other because when I see my photos I have not right saw (the photos are...mine)

Egil Droge
04-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Fantastic light, but indeed annoying lower right corner. Not too sure if cropping it would make it better. It's a shame that his back feet fell off :(

Steve Kaluski
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Are you looking for help to improve this image, or how to improve when you photograph (to take a photograph)?

Steve

Alfred Forns
04-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Will take it from both sides !!!

Image making just frame a little different making sure the feet are in the frame ... and we always assume there in nothing you are trying to avoid like trash etc. It is sharp and well exposed

Photoshop wise its a tough and personal decision, the light areas in the bg detract from the tiger, some fill in other not, I try my best to get it in camera. You could go over the bg with a soft brush to make it look as you took it with the 2.8 at 2.8 !! Excellent image and looking forward to the next !!!

Hilary Hann
04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Not sure what the foreground object is, rock or a block of concrete? but it certainly detracts from the image. I would probably have taken the photo and then waited, hoping that the tiger would move away from that block of whatever. I would also have experimented with a vertical view, giving the tiger room on the left to look into, but that would assume that you could get him clear of the foreground.

The only other thing I would have tried would have been a closer crop to the head and neck as a vertical, if the original would stand up to that amount of cropping.

Harshad Barve
04-05-2010, 08:27 PM
WOW !!! Looks like he was quite close to you as I can see Gypsy bonnet in FG ( may be bonnet) :D:D
Excellent suggations by Alfred here and to add that I may pull down some saturation
Nevertheless one nice image which can be made fine one
TFS

Ken Watkins
04-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Harshad has spotted the obvious fault the bonnet , unless of course you were intending to show how close you were, in which case more of the bonnet would be useful.

As to the Tiger itself you have a great look back pose, with a somewhat mixed background, and a slightly over saturated orange.

I think that a closer crop would be your best bet.

Here is a quick modification

The crop speaks for itself, the white parts of the background were removed with the patch tool in PS and then I used a selective colour tool to reduce the red levels and lastly slight adjustments to neutrals and blacks.

You would get a far better result from the original RAW file, also you have posted a relatively small file here, I would recomment resizing your image before convering to JPEG, Arties tip which I use is in PS is File Automate/ Fit Image/width 1024 height 800. This effectively means that you will get the maximum size for posting here.

Just to highlight the wonders of this forum, I have learnt all of the above "tricks" from being a member here.

Kiran Khanzode
04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
That Tiger is appearing BRICK RED in both the images..ouch . I will see if I can come up with some real tiger colors for you, Giova.

Hilary Hann
04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I have a question which one of you may be able to answer … if giova was using a 300mm lens with a 1.4 tele converter, is it likely that the object in the foreground is the jeep bonnet?

Kiran Khanzode
04-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Giova,

è quella jeep cappuccio o legno?

Grazie !

Giovanni Frescura
04-06-2010, 01:17 AM
tree off course

Harshad Barve
04-06-2010, 01:21 AM
tree off course

Ouch , wrong take from me :o:o

Giovanni Frescura
04-06-2010, 01:31 AM
It was the only moment when tiger show me its face...I have other shoots ...without tree ..but also without eyes

Hilary Hann
04-06-2010, 01:56 AM
In that case, I think you did the best you could and I would still go with a closer crop. Well done! :)

Giovanni Frescura
04-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks...but a crop in this case isn't, I think, the best composition.
I think this shoot is nice...but not good

Morkel Erasmus
04-06-2010, 06:13 AM
many points have been made Giova - I like the eye contact and dappled forest light, but agree the part lower right really distracts.

I would crop even closer than Ken has - to make it seems as though you deliberately zoomed in closer. I also tried to get rid of Kiran's "brick red" :)

let me know what you think...

Giovanni Frescura
04-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Thanks a lot
The pp , for me, is right but the lower crop is too much.
What you think about a vertical crop (off course now it is low risolution) ?

Hilary Hann
04-06-2010, 07:58 AM
I still think I'd go vertical but crop to the the elbow to give a little more substance. The pp is an improvement.

Kiran Khanzode
04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
I like Morkel Bhai's version the best !! I gave it a try myself, could not do any better.

Giova, fwiw, I find it better to leave the colors alone (in PP). I only correct white balance and apply a neutral or standard color profile in DPP on my Canon images (further processing in CS3/4). That way, the colors are almost always realistic...

My 2 cents.