PDA

View Full Version : Lion king

Chris van Rooyen
04-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Another image from my recent trip to Sabi Sabi (greater Kruger) taken at night with spotlight side-lighting (from another vehicle). I have totally fallen in love the high ISO/spotlight effect since I have started to use the D3s.

Camera Model: NIKON D3S
Camera serial number: 2013747
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 6400
Lens: 200 to 400mm
Focal length: 300mm

Harshad Barve
04-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Chirs

I too have totally fallen in love with the high ISO/spotlight images of yours , Gorgeous lion and excellent image
TFS

Ken Watkins
04-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Chris,

If it is possible to do this with the Mk IV then I may have to start doing night drives again.;)

This is so much more effective than flash!

Billy White
04-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Chris

great light

I have the same camera and have not used 6440 yet, but after your shots I can't wait - we are heading to the Mara in august hopefully for a river crossing

Billy

peter delaney
04-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Chris
hope you do not mind me playing with your image a bit..

flipped it horizontally ..cropped so the lions eye was in line with 1/3rds... upped the red channel a bit , and a small round of sharpening..

great image...

hope to see you sometime soon ..

peter

Steve Kaluski
04-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Chris, a very regal pose and I very much like it.:)

My only concern is the use of spot lights to highlight the animal and what effect it has on the Lion. The only time I have use spot lights they all have had filters over the front. Would be interested to know yours & others thoughts?

Steve

Charles Glatzer
04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey Chris,

Have you thought about using an additional low intensity diffused light from your vehicle for fill...so as to open up the shadows a bit?

Best and love the effect,

Chas

Jeff Cashdollar
04-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I would like to know more about the effects of spot lighting animals in their habitat too?

Chris van Rooyen
04-06-2010, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Spotlights have been used for ages by game lodges in night drive situations. From my limited experience with it, I have not seen any specific reaction from the animals so far i.e. they ignore it just as they ignore the vehicles and the people in it. Anyway, I would like to hear other people's comments/experiences? I like the suggestion of the diffuser.

Ken Watkins
04-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Chris and everybody else,

The use of spotlights in areas where night drives are permitted is different dependant on where you are, many lodges use it sparingly and some switch to using a red diffuser in certain situations. Everywhere I have been the spotlight is never shone on prey species as it is thought this can render them temporarily blind, not a good idea if there is a Leopard about.

I have never been a great fan of flash for predators as I believe (with no scientific basis) that this must cause harm, nevertheless I have never seen very little reaction when others use it. With the advent of higher and higher usable ISO's then I believe that the use of spotlights will come more to the fore as it gives a better mood, as in this image.

Alma K Bailey
04-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Truely a very beautiful image to me with a nice lighting on the lion.

One of My lifes dream to be able to go out and photograph the wonders of Africia. Thanks for sharing and making me realize yes I need to go..