PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly

alexgwoodruff
04-05-2010, 02:38 AM
I took this a couple of weeks ago at the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix, AZ in the butterfly pavillion. Taken with Nikon D70 and 60mm Nikkor Micro. I can't remember the EXIF data, but think it was 1/250 sec @f2.8, ISO 200 and SB600 flash at 1/64 power. Photoshop for levels and crop. If i were to take this again i would like to have included more depth of field.

Comments and criticism welcome.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4454006405_fe868c32fe_b.jpg

Ken Childs
04-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Alex, generally you want much more DOF for butterfly shots but there is something to be said for this type of shot. The important parts are very sharp! Those yellows are way too hot so you should try to tone them down a bunch. If this were mine, I'd try cropping a bit from the right side and I'd make an attempt at cloning over that bit of yellow in the upper left corner.

Markus Jais
04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I like the shallow DOF here. Works very well. I might try to darken the bright yellow parts in the lower left corner a bit.

Markus

Desmond Chan
04-05-2010, 04:11 PM
The bright yellow is my concern, too, as it is too bright comparing with you subject that it draws attention away from the latter. In addition to toning the yellow down, I would see if brighten up the butterfly would help a bit. Hey, if you're in Photoshop, you may as well see if you want to change the color of the flower entirely :D

Agree with you better DOF would be good.

Julie Kenward
04-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Hello Alex! I am also rather liking the shallow DOF here although it's not an ideal presentation. I usually photograph butterflies at least at f4 if not 5.6 or 8 (depending on the BG issues). You got a wonderfully detailed head and some great eye contact. I'd tone down the yellow in the flowers and try to pull back the colors around the edges of the frame so they don't compete with the butterfly quite so much.

Looking forward to more images! Spring is finally here - bring them on!

Roman Kurywczak
04-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Hi Alex,
I live at f22 or thereabouts but find when done well...shallow DOF can be very effective. Big issue working against you here was the mixed/bright light......as Ken mentioned...it toasted your yellows on the flower. Powering up the flash and dialing down to control some of the brighter areas may have helped!

Ken Childs
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Looking forward to more images! Spring is finally here - bring them on!
It's happening here. A few scattered butterflies are around and the dragonfly population is exploding. I counted over 150 newly emerged dragons out of just one pond today!

alexgwoodruff
04-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks very much for the great feedback and constructive criticism. Lots for me to work on, but I appreciate the honesty and the friendly manner it was given.