Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50mm
50mm
f9
ISO 100
.6"
manual white balance
EC -.33

did some work with the curves, plus some sharpening, but that's about all. cropped a small bit off the top, otherwise full frame.

any comments, critiques, or advice, appreciated!

Julie Kenward
04-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Beautiful exposure, Cheryl. Nice, crisp details, nice curve into the frame as well. Might suggest cleaning up the dark spots on the stem and green leaves - just hit them with the clone tool. Geez, this is really making me hungry for orange sherbet!

You are really coming a long way in a short period of time. Keep working it!

Desmond Chan
04-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Wow, you've been working hard, Cheryl ! Did you buy the flowers you photograph?

Agree with Julie (including the orange sherbet :D) ! Personally I would rather not see that leave. or whatever it is, clipped :)

Roman Kurywczak
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
HI Cheryl, Agree with Desmond on the green leaf.....lighting is otherwise nice....but lightening the stem a touch and eliminating the blemishes as Jules suggested will only help improve the final image.

Cheryl Flory
04-05-2010, 06:01 PM
OK, how about this?
whole leaf, blemishes taken care (hope I didn't miss any), but seems to be leaning too far away from the camera.

what do you think?
Desmond, yes, I purchased the flowers. nothing growing here yet.... nor could I even raise these if I had the climate. :o

Desmond Chan
04-06-2010, 12:16 AM
OK, how about this?
whole leaf, blemishes taken care (hope I didn't miss any), but seems to be leaning too far away from the camera.

You could be right, Cheryl :) Also, the top seems a bit tight. How about cutting some off the bottom and leaving a little bit more room at the top, if that's possible that is?

Desmond, yes, I purchased the flowers. nothing growing here yet.... nor could I even raise these if I had the climate. :oI know some photog also suggests buying the flowers, too. I think it's a good way to get flowers that are in good shape to photograph.

Roman Kurywczak
04-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Hi Cheryl,
I felt there was too much going on in the repost also so I took it into PS.....first I rotated it 12 degrees CCW making sure my BG color was black. I then cropped and selected your original BG as well as the new black and added +100 to the neutral and black channel in aselective color layer.....to make it truly black....lightend the LL leaf and toned the brightest area a touch. Let me know what you think.
PS I always go to the store....even grocery store and buy my wife cut flowers to photograph! Brownie points for me and she gets to enjoy them. I also go to the nurseries and buy potted flowers to photograph indoors.....and out......makes life easier and gives her some beautiful flowers to plant!

Cheryl Flory
04-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Thank you, Roman! love the improvement and the information, very helpful!

Anita Bower
04-15-2010, 04:44 AM
I wasn't bothered by the first crop, but i agree that Roman's repost is a bit nicer. I also agree with Jules' comment.