PDA

View Full Version : Female Northern Cardinal

Joel Eade
04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
This pretty female Northern Cardinal was captured visiting on of my setups for woodpeckers in the back yard. I know the perch is a bit big but I like the pose and the colors. Processed with ACR and CS4 using standard techniques, nothing cloned or added.

Canon 40D
300mm 2.8L + 1.4 TC
Gitzo tripod/Wimberly head
430 ex fill flash, manual at 1/8
ISO 640
f/9
1/250 sec
EC +0.3
Metering mode : pattern

Julie Brown
04-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Beautiful capture of the subtle colors of the female cardinals. I also like the colors in the BG, the HA and eye contact, and the pose. The exposure looks to me to be spot on. IMO the perch helps to balance the image. :)

Alfred Forns
04-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Joel Like the pose and bg, nailed exposure and very well presented. It is a good looking perch but competes with the bird? Keep looking at both !!

btw might want to check on the flash reach at that setting, not sure its doing much for the image. I usually try to make multiple images with the motor drive to make sure there is one without flash... then I can check at home if there was any difference.

Dave Mills
04-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi Joel, Good job on this! Even lighting with a good "looking back" HA. The detail and backround are well handled.
I might crop a small bit off the right to better balance the image...

Joel Eade
04-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks Al, I was using a better beamer and I was about 15 feet from the target so maybe it helped a little, I don't have another without flash to compare but I like your idea.

Joel

Lance Peters
04-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi joel - agree with the above - beautiful colours and pose - perch does compete but guessing you will change that :)
Agree with AL about the flash - I always take the first one at 1/1 and then see if I need to wind the power down any??
Keep em coming :)

Bob Miller
04-04-2010, 11:13 PM
HI joel....beautiful shot!