Canon 70-200 at 70mm
manual exposure
f7.1
ISO 100
1/2"
auto white balance
dim window light and a reflector

any improvement?
(gotta get better vases, that's for sure!)

Anita Bower
04-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Beautiful colors and light! The flowers pop against the black BG. I like the amount of detail here. Photographically very good! I think the tallest flower needs to be closer to the other 2. :)

Cheryl Flory
04-03-2010, 05:54 PM
You are right, Anita. The arrangement looked rather weak to me.
Is this one better??
It still isn't quite right though.

Julie Kenward
04-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Oh Cheryl, you are making HUGE improvements! That top image is stunning! I do miss the bottom of the vase showing, though, and Anita is right that the tulip on the left feels disjointed from the other two but, again, that's just spatial relationships. Try to remember the 1/3 rule...two short tulips and one long one - long one should be about 1/3 longer than the short ones. I don't know why this seems to work but it does!

And the second image is really nice - look at those wilty tulips!!! I would probably have put the tallest one in the center, 2-3 shorter ones on the sides of it and the 2 shortest ones falling over the sides. Think "pyramid" when arranging flowers - and then let them fall where they may.

VERY nice work on exposure and sharpness in both of these. ;)

Anita Bower
04-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I agree with Jules that you are making huge improvements. :-)

Cheryl Flory
04-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Thank you, Anita and Julie. only with the help of the generous people on this list. (I photoed so much today that my hand and arm hurts. lol good thing I love photography. :D)

denise ippolito
04-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Cheryl, You really are doing good. Trying new compositions and angles is the way to improve. I like the 2 tulips on the right of the first image and wish the 3rd tulip was not as tall and straight. On the second comp. I feel it's best to do simple comps. w/ odd numbers of flowers. I like the BG color also.:)

Roman Kurywczak
04-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi Cheryl,
Can't add much to the excellent advice given above.....but you are definitely on the right track as you are capturing some excellent/dramatic light!