PDA

View Full Version : Dhole

Sabyasachi Patra
04-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I am experimenting with distractions :-) Not sure how you guys will feel.

Dhole. Scientific name: Cuon alpinus. Bandipur Tiger Reserve. India.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF2x II, ISO 1000, f6.3, 1/160.

Look forward to your critiques.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
04-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi Sabyasachi

Firstly, congratulations on experimenting, something I feel we don't do enough and I am a classic for that.;) Also I think you have done well with both ISO & 2x which is renowned for poor quality, confirmed with the image not looking that sharp IMHO.

To be truthful I don't find the image really works, especially with the OOF scrub/bushes, however here are some thoughts that might help?

Try flipping it, as I find this view point doesn't really work for me.
I might also look at halving the OOF tree(?) width wise, as it is a little too 'thick'
I would also convert to greyscale rather than to B/W, which does give a cast to the image
Then adjust in both Levels & Curves to get good Blacks & Whites where possible, giving contrast to the image
Sharpen using USM 125,0.3, 0

Not sure if this helps or not?:)

Steve

Ajit Huilgol
04-03-2010, 08:37 PM
A little too 'distracting', Sabyasachi. I would like to see the colour image, if possible.

Kiran Khanzode
04-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Good job, I am speechless, I actually love the peek-a-boo moment !

Ken Watkins
04-04-2010, 01:13 AM
I think for this sort of shot to work you really needed the nose in the open.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Dear all,
Thanks a lot for your comments. Highly appreciated.

Steve,
I have got lot of sharp shots with the 400 f2.8 IS plus 2x II combo and don't have any complaints. Any lack of sharpness can safely be attributed to user error.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi