Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Exposure Time: 1 / 800
FNumber: 11
Focal Length: 700
ISO Speed Ratings: 400
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto white balance

I had tried to photograph this hawk on about a dozen different occasions. When I got this image, he was too hungry to be concerned with my presence. I was probably about 25 feet away from him when I shot this image. I was scooting through the cold snow & howling wind on my butt.

Its been sharpened, cropped, & had minor adjustments in curves. This image is 5500K. All suggestions to improve it will be greatly appreciated.
Andrew

Phil Seu
04-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Great find!. Love the setting and action depicted. Bird seems a little underexposed and soft. I assume you were shooting out of your car but if you could have been lower, image would be improved.

Katie Rupp
04-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi Andrew, Very nice intense look he's giving you and good catch with the prey. I'm not used to photographing snow so i"m wondering if the blue cast is too much? Congrats on achieving your goal.

Deborah Hanson
04-03-2010, 02:46 PM
First off - I love these birds. They are not easy to get near at all (I've found myself chasing with nothing to show a number of times) - great catch.
I am wondering about the crop. I might try the bird more in the upper left corner of the image (not too tight) with the open space to the right and in front of the bird.
The stare/expression that you captured is wonderful. The prey/kill is also a very nice.

Enjoyed seeing the image very much.
Deb

DanWalters
04-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Nice capture and I like the look he is giving you. Agree it does have a slight blue cast.