PDA

View Full Version : Common Bird project- Redwing in a tree

John Chardine
04-02-2010, 07:22 PM
OK, with the various posts of this species I think we get the message that Red-winged Blackbirds are common in North America!

Couldn't resist posting this male from today, and a little different because he's in a tree rather than on a cattail. This is very early spring here in New Brunswick and the blackbirds do not normally settle into the local marsh until a little later. Instead they hang around the edges of the marsh this this one. Having said this, a very few males were sitting on cattails today, a least a week early. BTW I'm wondering if the rusty feather ends on the back suggest a young male?

OK I will admit that I was shooting up at this bird, which is an aspect I don't like. However, I think it is more or less hidden in this image.

I cropped and removed a few twigs around the bird. Then a sharpen and that was it.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, 500/4 x 1.4 tc = 700mm
capture date: Friday, 2 April 2010, 2:47 PM
exposure program: Manual
ISO speed: 800
shutter speed: 1/1250
aperture: f8.0
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern
light source: Auto
flash: OFF
handheld!

Phil Ertel
04-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Hi John, I like the singing pose. I like the side view giving us a good view of the bird while the slight head turn provides a good head angle. The bird appears well exposed and sharp. I also think the resulting high-key presentation is very effective in displaying the bird. Overall a pleasing image. Thanks for sharing.

Paul Lagasi
04-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Lots of these guys around now, lovin this weather here...today is 29C (84F), wild for Apr. 2. John nice image, sharp, head turn..can't comment of color...monitor at work sucks...TFS

Keith Carver
04-03-2010, 07:03 AM
Although you're looking up (slightly) at the bird, the bird's eye is looking down at you - so it works well, John. Good EXP for dark tonal range. This looks like a young male.