PDA

View Full Version : The Other Side of Sunrise

Ed Vatza
04-02-2010, 04:05 PM
This morning.

Lake Galena. Peace Valley Park. Bucks County, PA.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Singh-Ray Vari-ND Filter, Tripod.

5-image HDR.

Dave Mills
04-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi Ed, Beautiful light with the HDR working well on exposure and handled so I don't know it's an HDR. The moon,while small still has some detail and it's reflection adds to the images interest. I was debating about cropping some off the right to further offset the moon. See what others say...

Kobus Tollig
04-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Looking at this for a while i would say i agree with Dave on the crop
Nice one well done

Rob Miner
04-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Hey Ed,

A keeper in my books. As a beginner, I see this shot with a crop off the bottom (sans the moon's reflection) and I would take out what looks like a pump station in the middle of the picture. The crop is more for a balance to the overall shot.

I would also appreciate this one hanging on my wall.

Rob............

Roman Kurywczak
04-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Hey Ed,
Hmmmm.....while I agree with the RH crop idea.....I have debated Rob's recommendation also....which got me thinking about that moon. First....you need to rotate this CW......why?....straight line on R edge of moon and reflection....don't line up.....need to be in line. I love the gradation in the water.....and while I didn't want to eliminate the moon.....I would keep it proportional with the RH crop off the bottom.....but if the moon then gets to close to frame edge..... take some off the top too.....if you are looking to keep the proportions.
Bery serene feel and mood to this...nicely done.

Paul Marcellini
04-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I agree on a bottom and right side crop. Curious about the 5 image hdr. Doesn't seem like a scene that really needs it. I do like the soft peaceful mood.

Ed Vatza
04-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I just paid my renewal so I don't what to be too feisty here so soon but...

[QUOTE=Roman Kurywczak;478759]First....you need to rotate this CW......why?....straight line on R edge of moon and reflection....don't line up.....need to be in line. /QUOTE]

Why? The horizon is level. My level was level. The moon and the reflection are where they were.

So let's see... I need to crop the right; crop the bottom and possible crop the top. Methinks that's a lot of crop! :D:eek:

As far as top/bottom are concerned, I like the placement of the moon and reflection. A crop off the top, in my estimation, pushed the moon too high. A crop off the bottom pushes the reflection too low. And losing the reflection is not an option as far as I'm concerned. I did seriously consider whether to crop off the right but without adjusting the top or bottom, it throws the image out of proportion. So it is what it is.

As always though, I appreciate the conversation.

Roman Kurywczak
04-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey Ed,
How do you get a level image....if the real object doesn't align with the reflection? Water always find its level.....so they should be directly above one another. They are not in this image. As for the other crops.....your choice.

Ed Vatza
04-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey Ed,
How do you get a level image....if the real object doesn't align with the reflection? Water always find its level.....so they should be directly above one another. They are not in this image. As for the other crops.....your choice.

OK Roman. Because you're my friend and I like you... and you are probably right...

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
04-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I like the repost Ed, Nice comp