PDA

View Full Version : malachite sunbird

Valerio Tarone
04-02-2010, 02:30 PM
a capture in 2005 in S. Africa.
Nikon D70 300mm f4 f4 1/400 AF c spot metering shutter pr. jpeg I worked it in Nikon Capture (CS4 not working) on S/H and sharpness because I think the light was too harsh.
Critics welcome. Thanks.

Daniel Cadieux
04-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Those are awesome flowers, and the colours look quite rich. A number of things would have improved the image though. First off, the bird is too small in the frame. Image is heavily slanted, and as posted it is soft. Tough situation you had! I do like the feeding behaviour you have here though...but you need to get closer:).

Arthur Morris
04-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Valerio, I like your choice of subject, I love the flowers, and the water would have made a great background had you been able to get closer. In addition to Daniel's excellent comments, I would add that the bird is in the shadow of the flower because the sun if from the right. Try to point your shadow at the subject with the sun right behind you.:)

Lance Peters
04-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi Valerio - just wondering about your choice of spot metering - not trying to be smart or anything - can you explain your reasons for the use of spot metering???
Are you shooting RAW???
As presented does look quite soft - dont think the harsh light is going to affect the sharpness at all.
:)

Dave Mills
04-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi Valerio, Your image has many interesting subjects which in this case can be problematic. I would look for simpler compositions which will strenghen your center of interest. Many good comments above...

Valerio Tarone
04-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Thanks to everyone. Lance , spot metering for the subject, the bird. This is similar to the humminbird, vey quick moving|

Valerio Tarone
04-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Lance The shot is 5 years old. Jpeg. Now I'll soot in RAW. Arthur you're, of course, I was trying to hide myself behid some bush.

Lance Peters
04-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks to everyone. Lance , spot metering for the subject, the bird. This is similar to the humminbird, vey quick moving|

Hi - Exactly why you dont want to be using SPOT metering - if it is quick moving how can you reliably spot meter??
Spot metering if its used at all would be for static subjects that dont move - spot metering is really not your best choice - make your life much easier and use Matrix (Or the canon equivalent)

Valerio Tarone
04-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks Lance Peters
I'll take your advice in mind.