04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
http://www.patriciomurphy.com.ar/foros/nef/20090725_003.jpg

Nikon D200
AI Nikkor 400mm f/3.5 ED-IF
1/640, f/3.5
ISO 400

Paul Kusmin
04-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Cool bird, i've never heard of this one before.
I think a bit more space in front and below the bird might help position the bird a bit better in comp.
thanks for sharing.

Arthur Morris
04-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Whoa! That's a wicked new bird for me. Where was it photographed? You needed to take two steps back. Slowly as the bird is too big in the frame. The head is turned a bit too far off the body angle. Did you use flash?

Steve Canuel
04-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I like the nice, light colors of this bird and the BG colors compliment him well. A bit tight in frame for me (clipped toe).

John Chardine
04-02-2010, 07:45 PM
I had one of these once on board a ship off Buenos Aires, so that's clue to where this mocker comes from.

The image has a lot of good elements. The subject is strong (may need a little more sharpening), and the background is super. As mentioned above, the main issue is composition. You could lose some space at the left and add some room at the top to the right. Attached is what I was thinking about. Also dodged the eye and burned the pupil a little to liven it up.

Patricio Murphy
04-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and critics!
John is right about the whereabouts of this bird. I should have put the location, sorry. It's taken in Buenos Aires, but it's a bird you're likely to find in most of the country. I think it sure gets better with some space to the right, not so sure about adding space up.

BTW, I love this thread about common birds, great idea, a good reminder for us that what is common for us may not be in other countries...

John Chardine
04-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Hi Patricio- The reason you need to add space above is to give some room in the implied direction that the bird might move if it flew off the perch- up and to your right. In the original image it gives the impression that if the bird did this it would hit its head on the ceiling of the very small room you have him in!

Patricio Murphy
04-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks John, I'll try it!