PDA

View Full Version : Trona Pinnacles

Steve Bein
01-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Shot with a Seitz rotating panoramic camera in med format. I do not remember which lens, but the location and lighting was wonderful.

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Very interesting image Steve. I like the expanse of it and the pinnacles have good separation from the BG.

What is bothering me is the FG, especially what appears to be a road and then the brush in the lower right. If it was possible, you could have walked out on the middle ground grasses and included that in the lower FG, the middle ground would be the plain leading up to the pinnacles and the BG the far mountain and clouds. The clouds/BG mountains appear unnatural with the pinkish glow.

I have seen but never use one of these cameras. As Steve demostrated here, you can make some interesting images with it.

David Kennedy
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Steve,
Having never used one of these cameras--I've only read Reichmann's review of the Seitz Roundshot (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/roundshot-28-220.shtml)--I would say that the image quality is great although the inability to truly frame the image must be frustrating! With that said, I agree with Robert that the foreground doesn't add to the image and the cropping of the clouds on the top diminishes the image somewhat.

Also, I might suggest you go back to that film and scan it again. Robert pointed out that you have purple/pink hues in the clouds that appear unnatural. Given the copyright year on your watermark, I think that they might be attributed to some older editing techniques (forgive me if I'm wrong--I'm making assumptions based on "what I would do/have done), and a fresh scan and edit might yield cleaner results.

Cheers,
David