PDA

View Full Version : Common Bird Project - Song Sparrow

Richard Stern
04-01-2010, 04:41 PM
At least around here, there is almost constant singing from this species at the moment, and it's certainly very common. Here's a recent one in the back yard, perched on a perch in the rain but still singing! I should add that one person's common is another person's rare, and e.g. if a Heerman's or Glaucous-winged gull ever showed up in Nova Scotia, many birders would drop everything and rush to "twitch" a Provincial first.

Taken recently with my "old" spare D70S while my D300 was away being repaired.
Lens: 300.0 mm f/4.0 AF-S + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420.0mm (35mm equivalent: 630mm)
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
ISO equiv: 1000
Exposure Bias: -0.33
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto

Crop, sharpen and Noise Ninja applied.

Self-crit --- I wish the perch didn't obscure half the tail.

Richard

Harold Davis
04-01-2010, 05:48 PM
the perch does seem a little big in proportion to the bird. as is, i'd crop a little off the left and clone out the white marks in the brownish area in front of the bird. exposure looks good and i like the singing pose.

Flavio Rose
04-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Composition, pose, and exposure good, background quite nice. The bird looks a bit soft to me, presumably due to the level of noise reduction that was required for your "old" camera's ISO 1000.

Steve Canuel
04-01-2010, 09:44 PM
You did a good job of capturing the rainy conditions. Nice pose and angle on the bird. I like the brown and greens of the BG but they look a bit noisy. Bird also looks a little soft.

Fabs Forns
04-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for being part of the project.
Agree with the above comments, great singing pose!