View Full Version : Supermodel

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Everyone,
This is from Sanibel Pier last February - straight off the catwalk...:D
1D Mk3 300 f/2.8
ISO 200
f/2.8 1/8000
Cropped from sides for composition. Added a lttle canvas at the bottom.
Look forward to your c & c's :)
Best to all,
Nicki

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Nicki,

Greetings. Great title! The pose fits perfectly... made me smile. A bit more canvas at the bottom would work for me as well as some more contrast (you have lots of feather detail that is somewhat lost to the whites being compressed to the right end of the histogram). Some overall contrast would also bring out the great color you have in the background. Very nice!

Cheers,

-Michael-

Myer Bornstein
04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I agree the whites are somewhat blown could use some toning down but otherwise a great image

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Michael!
Thanks so much for your comments. Actually this has more contrast on the print that I made - I agree that it seems a little washed-out on the screen. Is the repost any better?
Best,
Nicki
PS I'm working on my laptop, so I'm not sure that the repost looks much different - your thoughts??

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Myer, there are no blown highlights in this image - pushed to the right, maybe, but not blown :D

Ken Lassman
04-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Hi Nicki,

It is so difficult to control the whites in the bright sunlight. Just love the pose and the title...great capture.

Peter Farrell
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
I like this a lot, Nicki. Such a great pose and BG.
Peter

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Ken and Peter, thank you very much for your kind words.
Yes, those whites can be so difficult to hold on to! :D:eek:

Jeff Cashdollar
04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Love the vert frame and pose is fantastic. Cannot tell about whites on my monitor but exposure settings look good. Great catch, wish for more canvas on bottom. TFS - this one made me smile, thanks.

Richard Waas
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Way to go Nicki. I love this pose!!! Fabulous BG as well!
Richard

PS: Love the title!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Decker
04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Pose + title is off the hook wonderful. Not a lot of detail showing up in the whites. Maybe try a little Shadow/Highlight in Photoshop to bring out some detail? I might opt for a bit more canvas at the bottom, and more to the right to give her someplace to move into.

Love it.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks so much boys - glad you are enjoying the image!!! :D
Best,
Nicki

Bob Miller
04-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi Nicki! Wonderful pose....great title....Agree with notes above from Bob

Fabs Forns
04-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Killer pose and caption :)
I copied the BG layer (control J)
Used Multiply as blending mode. No need to reduce opacity. Looks good as is IMO.
Way to go, girl :)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks Bob and Fabs - killer repost- much appreciated!! :)

Lance Peters
04-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Great Pose - Great title - Fab's repost puts it over the top!!!!
Big Big Congrats - Love it!!!

Harold Davis
04-01-2010, 06:29 PM
hey lady, you need to tone it down a little. it's hard to compete with stuff like this!!!:p

awesome job. loved it when i first saw it this afternoon. i'm torn between the OP and the RP. they both have their merit, IMHO.

arash_hazeghi
04-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Beutiful walking pose. Like Fab's repost a lot. Well done, btw it's best not to have any shadows on these super white beauties, would go to top with wing either fully retracted or full stretch position. We done

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Michael!
Thanks so much for your comments. Actually this has more contrast on the print that I made - I agree that it seems a little washed-out on the screen. Is the repost any better?
Best,
Nicki
PS I'm working on my laptop, so I'm not sure that the repost looks much different - your thoughts??

Nicki,

Greetings. Your repost is headed in the right direction... This is what I had in mind:

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/yamo/images/AccessibleImages/Supermodel+curve.jpg

Applied a single curve to the jpeg, more contrast (curve steeper than diagonal) over all and a little extra contrast on the whites (top 10% on the right). Beak and legs are darker here (could be adjusted otherwise or masked for original).

One notable difference between this approach and multiply blend that Fabs used is the impact on color, saturation... a matter of taste.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Fabs Forns
04-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Michael, you made the feet green :eek:

Gail Spitler
04-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Love the image; thank you for posting. The dramatic essence is perfect. The discussion is wonderful.
Cheers
Gail

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
04-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Michael, you made the feet green :eek:

Dear Fabs,

Greetings. Had me going there for a minute... Sampler shows same hue as original (50 +/-) while you're multiplied version is pushed toward orange (48 +/-) and more saturated. So my version would look greener in comparison. A curve adjustment will hold hue fairly well (not completely), while multiply blend will, well, multiply, the offset from neutral (per channel).

Er, your multiplied version pushed the whites too pink for my taste (the slight pink cast in the original is multiplied), but that's perhaps just me.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Fabs Forns
04-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Michael,

Judging by your studies of whites in OOTB, that you took the trouble to edit after my comment, your understanding of PS and mine have nothing in common:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59968
Or perhaps this is a better example of your abilities:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59791

Either we have totally different monitors or totally different perception of color.
So it's best that you stick to your methods and let me stick to mine.
And please, do not "dear" me.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Interesting and stimulating discussion :)
Thank you all so much for your input - it is much appreciated!
Arash, I liked the wing position in this image because it adds to the idea that (s)he is flouncing down the catwalk!! :D
Best to all,
Nicki