PDA

View Full Version : Juried Show Entry 2

Brad Newby
04-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Here's my second of two photos that was accepted into a local gallery show. Its not the sharpest picture in my drawer, but the content and composition rock. These brown pelicans seem quite affectionate and social. When they land all the cormorants and gulls go over to greet them. With other pelicans they always seem to be scratching bills and touching. Very cool.

These were on a sand bar. I had to go up current, lay down in the boat and take photos as I drifted past.

There's no post processing except for standard Lightroom adjustments. Taken with Pentax K20D and DA*300 lens, ISO 400, 1/350 second, f6.7.

http://www.smile-123.com/Nature/Birds/update-9-9-2009/IMGP3417-Edit/649652652_bui48-L.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
04-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey Brad, congrats on having the picture selected for your local gallery show:). I like the preening behaviour you captured (and thanks for the additional details in your description). Next time try to get a better light angle (sun behind you), and level the horizon...this way you'll really blow away the competition!

P.S. Speaking of ight, it also looks rather harsh and strong. Early morning or late evening (or all day when overcast) will always give you more pleasing results.:cool:

Good luck for the show!!

Brad Newby
04-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Hey Brad, congrats on having the picture selected for your local gallery show:). I like the preening behaviour you captured (and thanks for the additional details in your description). Next time try to get a better light angle (sun behind you), and level the horizon...this way you'll really blow away the competition!

P.S. Speaking of ight, it also looks rather harsh and strong. Early morning or late evening (or all day when overcast) will always give you more pleasing results.:cool:

Good luck for the show!!

Thanks. The horizon is actually level: but i was so unsure that I checked it against the rest of the pics taken there. I understand about the sun. This spot faces due east. I still tend to go out whenever I get the chance and without usually considering the time.