PDA

View Full Version : Turret Arch Stars

Roman Kurywczak
02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I just looked at Jose's picture just below my post...........and he inspired me to put another night post up. Taken in Arches NP with the Canon Mark 3 and the 17-40 mm lens at 17mm at ISO6400 for 30 seconds at f4.5.
As always,comments welcomed and appreciated,
Roman

PS Since I just got the Mark3 a few months ago..............would you guys cover for me :D when I ask my wife for Jose's set up? At least now.............I'm motivated to build my brothers 13" telescope!

Small Group Photo Tours
www.roaminwithroman.com (http://www.roaminwithroman.com)

Robert Amoruso
02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Your on your own with wife requests.

Very surreal looking image.

Paul Marcellini
02-26-2008, 09:48 PM
This one, looks almost like the rock is glowing from within. This whole series is very nice.

Ed Cordes
02-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Nice presentation. I like the series of night shots a lot. The arch really glows. you can even see some lower level sky glow from lights in the far distance. Would a bit more FG be more dramatic? Just a bit, not much.

Alfred Forns
02-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Don't really know what to say I'm very impressed !!!!!

Imagine you need to nail the first one Will hate to bracket !!!! How do you meter?

Jose Suro
02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Gorgeous image!!!! I love star + lit images and it looks like you have it down pat. 30-seconds? Did you get star elongation at full size? I can't go past 15-seconds at 18mm and a 1.5 sensor without elongation. Super image.

Best,

Jose

Ps. You're on you own with your wife! I WAS!

Roman Kurywczak
02-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Don't really know what to say I'm very impressed !!!!!

Imagine you need to nail the first one Will hate to bracket !!!! How do you meter?

Hi Alfred,

I believe that from trial and error........I just set the exposure for 30 seconds......... from research on the web. To answer you Jose, at full size very slight movement.........which with this type of photo is IMO acceptable but would not in your galaxy shots!. I've seen people state that after 27 seconds you start to get movement.......again off the web. Now.......back to Alfred.......I use my next to widest opening because I found my lens performs better at it. I illuminate the object first..........check the back for blown highlights (they do show up at night) and the histogram.......which of course is pinned to the left..but if I get a decent amount of levels towards the middle...........I go with it!
Hope this helps,
Roman

Maxis Gamez
02-27-2008, 10:21 PM
This is simply a work of art. Amazing!

Rich Ikerd
02-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Another beauty Roman - you've really inspired me to give this a try this fall when I'm going to be out that way.

Travis Novitsky
03-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Nice one, Roman. You sure do have some nice star images. I've noticed with mine that I've taken from 25 to 30 seconds the stars look fine when the image is sized for the web, but when viewed at 100% on the pc you can see they are starting to streak a bit.