PDA

View Full Version : Textured Cone

Christopher Miller
03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
I haven't been able to come up with anything for the current theme yet, so I've been playing with some new texture overlays. This is a hemlock cone that I photographed recently and texturized. I applied one of my textures using hard light blending mode at 58% opacity and then applied the same texture again using multiply blending mode at 100% opacity. Any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

denise ippolito
03-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Christopher, I like the texture BG and the pinecone looks nice. I like how you have revealed parts of it. The pinecone seems a bit high in the frame or maybe it needs some more dimension? I'm not sure -I can't put my finger on it. But it is a lovely image and I do like it a lot.:)

Kora Baker
04-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I like the treatment of the subject, Christopher. And that texture is great. Lovely definition in the cone too. I do agree with denise about its placing in the frame. It just seems to be sitting a little uncomfortably. If that makes any sense!:)

Barbara Kile
04-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Christopher, I'm not into the theme either, but I like this. Applying your texture twice using 2 blending modes seems to have worked well. Regarding the 'dimension' I wonder if you did the 20/50/0 contrast adjustment? Since this is a web-sized image, I would reduce all settings appropriately and do it on a duplicate bg layer so you could paint off the background if that was affected too much. Just a thought - someone else might have a further suggestion on this, but often I find that unsharp mask adjustment gives some 'pop.' It might give some further texture contrast to the wood too.

Roman Kurywczak
04-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Hey Christopher,
I like this as presented. I feel adding contrast will take away from the feel (sorry ladies:D)....and I'm usually a high contrast kind of guy! Like the subtle vignette too....you have to keep this one around for Christmas!

Christopher Miller
04-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks Denise, Kora, Barbara, and Roman. Appreciate the comments and suggestions. :)

Since this was FF, I tried cropping closer to move the cone lower down in the frame. Barbara, I also tried your suggestion of an unsharp mask contrast adjustment, though I kept it rather subtle in order to retain the feel. Let me know what you all think.

denise ippolito
04-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Christopher, I think it looks great!:) I couldn't figure out what it was but you sure did.

Barbara Kile
04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes, it's very subtle, but it does show more texture in the pine cone. I wouldn't be afraid to crank it up another notch, but it looks good to me as presented.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
04-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Christopher, I really love this - repost rocks - I love the textures in particular and the cone almost has a 3D look. Very nice!
Best,
Nicki

Kora Baker
04-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Great work, Christopher! It has lifted it beautifully:)

Indranil Sircar
04-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Beautiful composition, Christopher. Excellent texture and bg. The repost is great.

Paul Lagasi
04-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Almost could be part plaster wall painting...really like what you've done with both of these images

Christopher Miller
04-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. :)

Cheryl Slechta
04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Christopher, the repost is a masterpiece! Beautifully done.

Christopher Miller
04-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks Cheryl!