PDA

View Full Version : Awaken the Scavengers...

Morkel Erasmus
03-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Tomorrow is a short work day and thereafter our Easter weekend kicks off. We will be away for the weekend and I won't be in BPN until sometime next week. If you travel - please do so safely!

Captured this fellow outside the Satara rest camp in the Kruger Park in February, coming from the webcam-waterhole just as we came to camp for the night. Obviously this guy was just getting started for the night.

Love the motion blur here...all comments welcome...
(I'm actually wondering if it wasn't my wife who took this as I'm quite sure I was handling a D3s with a 200-400 at a sighting prior to this one :confused:;))

Techs:
Nikon D300s with Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRII @ 200mm
f4.0 @ 1/100 SS @ ISO-640
Exp +0.3

Alfred Forns
03-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi Morkel if she did deserves a Big Congrats !!!! :)

The precise point of focus does it for me !!! Great feel to this image, like the framing and space given !!!

Sabyasachi Patra
04-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Morkel,
I guess officially you would have taken this image. Because when a couple is shooting, good shots are invariably supposed to be taken by the guy. And for marital harmony, the lady has to agree.;)

Nice image. Composition is fine. Focus is spot on. Please convey our feedback to her. ;):D

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Robert Amoruso
04-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Morkel,

The image appears flat. Here is what I did.

1) Levels adjustment and pulled highlight slider down to the point of letting the rim light clip.
2) Selective Color and added 4 points of the black to black and neutral colors.
3) Curves adjustment using Linear Contrast Preset (mild s-curve).
4) Dodged nose on BG copy to bring up the detail some.

Morkel Erasmus
04-01-2010, 03:28 PM
thanks for the feedback guys...Robert your repost is better thanks for posting the steps. I looks like you've brought out some blood that was on its beak!

David Fletcher
04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi Morkel. Have a good break. Superb shot. Looks like you are getting on real good with that combo. Agree with Robert and did my own adjustments. Not bothered "if better", just another way of seeing....

1. simple curves adj. S shape.
2. Hue and Sat, +5
3. +2 on whites, mids and blacks-selective color.
4. selection on Hyena and sharpened with Luminosity Smart Sharpen. 70% 0.7 and reduced opacity to 45%.
5. lightened scene +15.

Lots of different ways to get there...:D Left the nose... felt not nec'.. not a critique of Rob.. just different way of seeing....

EDIT. Checked out after posting...... another +8 on brightness gets where I'd like it to be....

Morkel Erasmus
04-03-2010, 02:27 PM
thanks Dave - it looks good too!

Ajit Huilgol
04-03-2010, 08:49 PM
I quite like the original image, as posted, Morkel, but David's repost looks good, too!

Morkel Erasmus
04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
thanks for viewing, Ajit...