Manos Papadomanolakis
02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Kerkini lake in north Greece
e-mail,wkerkini@otenet.gr
address,kerkini,GR62055 kato poroia Greece
Fantastic place for birdphotography!

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
What species could be achieved in Spring?
Szimi

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Szimi,
If you want to find a lot of species the best season is in January,but the weather is not so good
At any time of year the wetland is home to more than 10000 water birds.In the late summer this number may rise to nearly
20000 with the fledgling Cormorants and the winter it can be over 30000,most of which will be ducks,of which 18 species can seen there.The wetland is an excellent site fot smaller raptors during the spring and early Summer with breeding Black Kites,Goshawks,Levant sparrowhawks and Peregrins.Also there are Pygmy Cormorants and dalmatian Pelicans,little egrets,Grey herons,night herons,Squacco herons,spoonbills,Glossy ibis etc...
For more imformations there is a telephone number,+30 2327028004-5

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Do you have any fixed low level hide there? What about songbirds?
I am interested in Woodchat Shrike and Buntings :)
Szimi

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Ι live in Crete South Greece,kerkini lake is far from me it`s in north Greece
I went one time at winter time but the weather was too bad,and i have not nice photos from there
Sorry Szimi but I don`t know about songbirds
I visited today your website,excellent work!!!

IvoZafirov
02-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi guys, this lake is probably second best in the region for wildlife photography after Danube delta. It is probably one of the few places in Europe where you can see in one day flamingoes, saker falcon, spotted eagle, cranes, tundra swans and many other birds
It is realy fantastic place and it is a paradise for bird photography. It is only 200 km from my city - Sofia in Bulgaria and I go there regularly (long live EU:)) Last two weekends I spent there. The dalmatian pelicans are spectacular at the moment in their full breeding plumage and many birds are comming from the south already as the signs of the spring are obvious. Furthermore the birds there are relatively tame so one can approach them much closer than it is usual for our part of Europe.
I recomend it!

IvoZafirov
02-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Szimi, at the moment it is the lowest level of the lake but soon it will start raising again and in its peak it will be about 2 m higher than now. Woodchat shrikes are nesting around the lake as well as the rare masked shrike. I have plans for this spring to try photograph the later one. Cirl bunting and black headed bunting are also from its checklist.

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Welcome Ivo!!!
Thanks for your informations!

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-28-2008, 11:01 AM
What about the accessibility and the permits needed? Is it freely allowed to walk through and place a mobile hide anywhere in the area or permits is a must?
Szimi

IvoZafirov
02-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Manos, it is pleasure for me :)

Well Szimy, it is a Natura 2000 site and Ramsar site and there are certain restrictions but as I was told by the administration (Theodoros Naziridis), as long as you do not attempt to use a boat to go in the birds colony you are allowed even to fish in the lake. So, no problem at all using a hide alongside the banks of the lake. Being honest the hide is not necessary there. I am using only a 3D poncho camouflage and it is perfect.