PDA

View Full Version : Sunset thru trees

Frank Gillis
03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
I shot this at 1/4000, f2.8 135mm. I didn't get the results I wanted but I did get a nice orange sky. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4477540227_f4fa52c21e.jpg

Robert Amoruso
03-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Frank,

The biggest problem with silhouettes is finding a suitably interesting subject, recognizable to your viewer when seen as a silhouette. Normally I look subjects for with clearly defined shapes. In the North in winter, lets say, a leafless tree set against the morning sun can be attractive. In Florida its harder to find with trees that are not blooming or have leaves most of the year. A Palm with clearly defined fronds can be good.

You also want to avoid large areas of black (called negative space) as they draw the eye to them and away from the subject. Your image above would be better if you had created it with the sun further up and coming through the less dense areas of the trees as well as eliminating much of the bottom dark area.

Roman Kurywczak
03-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi Frank,
I'll echo Robert's comments and will ask a few questions.....did you have the tree tops just above top of frame? If yes.....pointing the camera up to get the silhouette line......less space on bottom....may have also worked.