03-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50mm
39mm
1/250"
F13
ISO 400
EC -.33

increased blacks for the background, but other than that, only the typical post processing.
this is from my first day shooting flowers.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks for looking!

Lance Peters
03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi Cheryl - no image showing :)

Markus Jais
03-31-2010, 12:25 AM
I like the composition. The stripes are a nice BG. I think the light is a little harsh but still ok.

Markus

Stuart Frohm
03-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Thanks for posting this beautiful, sharp image. I hope you'll post more.

I think I'd prefer the absence of stripes in the background, as I think they compete with the flower.

Ken Childs
03-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Hey Cheryl,

This light is a bit harsh but not too bad and I think you could easily tone it down in PP. I like the comp but for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, that stem on the right is bothering me. I haven't made up my mind about the stripes. :)

Julie Kenward
03-31-2010, 07:39 AM
From a compositional standpoint here's what I see: the major bulk of the image is smack in the center. I think this might be why Ken feels the other stem is bothering him. If you had a bit more of the iris stem in the image, moving the flower to the top 1/3 instead of the 1/2 way point, then the flower would be more balanced in the image but the other leaf would be popping out of the top of the frame. So what to do? Me, I'd take the additional stem/leaf out and let the flower be more in the ROT's position, giving the stem attached to the iris more room in the frame.

Cheryl Flory
03-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Julie, I was actually thinking about that before shooting this flower. I cut the stem off there since it got ugly below that point. I didn't know if it would be better to to show a lumpy stem or cut it off. now I know. :)

I left the right sided leaf on since it is part of the plant, and I liked its lines. I still like the lines in the image, but it seems so static. perhaps more stem would have helped that, of more angle to the iris??? less harsh light would have been helpful too. I think the sharpening may be a bit over done also.

Thank you, everyone! I am learning so much and enjoying it too. :D! And like Charles said Tuesday in my previous thread, I spent all day yesterday trying some different angles. Who would have known that you could find a butterfly in a lily??? how fun is that?? :D

Jerry van Dijk
03-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi Cheryl, good comments already given. I like the stripes, they make the image something special.

Gail Spitler
04-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Cheryl
This iris is going to knock your socks off. Very strong, very dramatic. I think it needs some space somewhere around the image, but otherwise this is super!
Cheers
Gail

Anita Bower
04-02-2010, 05:45 AM
Dramatic and beautiful image. I agree with taking out the leaf and placing the flowers in a slightly different position. I love the BG! How did you create it? See Maplethorpe for dramatic BGs http://www.darjanpanic.com/photography/masters-of-photography/robert-mapplethorpe-and-his-flower-art-photography/

Cheryl Flory
04-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Anita, the background is black foam board, on an angle, the stripes are from the light coming through closed light-filtering mini-blinds. in PP I increased the blacks enough to narrow the ends of the stripes to points.

Cheryl Flory
04-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Anita, thanks for the link! love it.