PDA

View Full Version : After the Catch

Ken Lassman
03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Viera Wetlands, Melbourne, FL

Another in my Osprey series that I shot last week at Viera. As a beginner, I am concentrating on hand held flight shots...which are the most exciting for me. I am now confident that I can get the shot and it is no longer "luck" With that said, I am trying to learn Photoshop (which makes me feel totally inadequate). So I processed this picture using layers for the first time and I am bracing myself for the comments. At least I know I nailed the shot and caught him with great head angle and eye contact (notice the little fish he caught). Tough lighting on these guys, but I am happy with it. If someone wants to touch this up to make it better....it is fine with me....just tell me how you do it. Thanks...you have all been supportive and encouraging and I appreciate the learning experience.

Nikon D300
Nikon 300/2.8 VR lense
ISO 400
F/6.3 @ 1/2000
Manual, Hand Held

Lance Peters
03-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Ken - Like the pose - the whites on the head are on the hot side. I would sharpen the bird just a tad more - looks a little soft on my screen. The sky appears a little noisy some NR on the background may help.
Might also be worth posting the original with no changes.
:)

Ken Lassman
03-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Here is the original...

Lance Peters
03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Hi Ken - the second post looks much better to me - sure it can be tweaked a little.
At work at the moment - if no-one else has a go - I will repost when I get home tonight.
:)

Alfred Forns
03-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Actually not much to do with original Ken !! Looks good !! Could clone some texture on the head which is a little over and lighten the dark area of the wing Not bad at all !!

Lance Peters
03-31-2010, 01:12 AM
Hi Ken - AS AL mentioned not much needed here - bit of sharpening to the bird - recover some of the whites if you can and your good.