PDA

View Full Version : Which fluid head for video work?

Cynthia West
03-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Having just obtained a Canon 7D and getting interested in the video part, what fluid head, or panning head works well? Also will try it with a longer lens for birds so will want something quite sturdy?
Thanks

Sabyasachi Patra
04-02-2010, 03:56 AM
I am currently looking at a few fluid heads. Pretty expensive. Manfrotto 719 is the cheapest that fits my budget. Sachtler is anothe good brand, though a bit more costly. It finally depends upon the weight of your camera and lens combination and also your budget.

Richard Peters
11-06-2010, 07:05 AM
I've been wondering about this too. I'd like to maybe get a fluid head but need one that will support the D3s and a 600mm - so about 8kg almost.

I would imagine fluid heads are not light either compared to a Wimberley, so not sure if they are practical for photo use as well?!

Giulio Zanni
11-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I use the Gitzo 1380 for both video and still.

Giulio

Sabyasachi Patra
11-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Richard,
The Manfrotto 526 Fluid head appears to be the minimum requirement. However, if you need a good quality panning, then you need to spend several times more than the nearly 1.2k USD that this manfrotto head costs.

The Gitzo and Wimberly V2 head that I use for still photography results in lousy videos. A good tripod and fluid head is a must. If still photography was expensive, filming is atleast 10 times more costly.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Doddo Buehler
05-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Hi, i use a sachtler fluidhead and a wimberley head for wildlife photo. The friction of the sachtler is perfect for Wildlife Photos from a tent or hide. You can change the friction and damping at every Moment. This would help you for better Pictures. Less Vibration when you shoot. And with SVA and a teleconverter your images are sharper with a sachtler than on a wimberley...especially with long lenses...

Eric Weaver
05-27-2011, 12:11 PM
I've been wondering about the Sachtler fluid head for still panning. Would this be a good choice for a ten pound manual focus lens/7D combo? Would want it to be my do everything head for birding. Lots of money to spend for a head that I know nothing about. Probably switch off to the Manfrotto pan head for landscape and the rest.

Doddo Buehler
05-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi eric,
yes a sachtler fluidhead is really expensive. But it is worth. Stable und durable. But your combination of your tripod and head is important. you should use a wood tripod (berlebach e.g.) or a big gitzo to support the sachtler.
the sachtler tripods are good too. Less vibration but the combination of the sachter head and tripod is highend.

But the sachtler is not a good head for other things like macro. You can not use it. I use a sachtler and a 500mm Tele lens. It works well.

bye doddo

I've been wondering about the Sachtler fluid head for still panning. Would this be a good choice for a ten pound manual focus lens/7D combo? Would want it to be my do everything head for birding. Lots of money to spend for a head that I know nothing about. Probably switch off to the Manfrotto pan head for landscape and the rest.

Eric Weaver
05-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks Doddo. I have the Berlebach tripod already. So that part is taken care of.

Eric Weaver
05-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Forgot to ask this earlier. What kind of mounting system does it use for the lens? Is it a proprietary system? Arca Swiss?

Doddo Buehler
05-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Hi eric,
Yes, the sachtler system uses a own fast clamping System.

But be shure: a sachtler need a 75mm or 100mm bowl adaption at your tripot. With this system you can bring the Head in a horizontal position.

Hope that helps..
Doddo

Eric Weaver
05-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Like the one on my Berlebach tripod? Do I need another one?

Doddo Buehler
05-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi eric,

For example: the berlebach Uni 12 has a 100mm bowl or sphere ( i don't know the exact english description) for a sachtler fluidhead. There are 75mm and 100mm depends ob the Head. I use a sachtler dv10 SB with a 100mm sphere and i Gould Need this Uni 12 berlebach.

I have asked berlebach at the photokina in colonne in Germany last Year if it is possible to change only the top plate of the tripod-> yes it is!!

Eric Weaver
05-30-2011, 10:01 AM
I have the 3032, http://www.adorama.com/BA3032.html. I'm thinking it's the wrong kind of ball. I've never seen one of these fluid heads so it's all kind of a mystery to me. The photos and descriptions I find on the internet don't make it clear.

Doddo Buehler
05-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi Eric,

the sachtler has a small hemisphere with a diameter of 100mm and 75mm: Her ist the photo:
http://www.nikonpoint.de/gallery2.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102622

and a sachtler tripod has the same hemosphere. With this you can easily leveling your horizon:

http://www.nikonpoint.de/gallery2.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102624

And with the Knob under the head you could fix the right position. Hope this would help you...

best regard doddo

Doddo Buehler
05-30-2011, 01:50 PM
And there is a berlebach with the same hemisphere:

http://www.nikonpoint.de/gallery2.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102626

and there are adapters for other tropods too. I have a big gitzo tripod with a 100mm hemisphere.

doddo

Eric Weaver
05-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Thank you, that makes sense now. Truly appreciate your help.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-01-2011, 02:57 AM
I have upgraded to a heavy duty Sachtler CF 100ENG HD 2CF ENG tripod (#5390) and Oconnor 1030 HD fluid head.

If you want good quality pans, then you need to get a decent fluid head depending upon your budget and weight requirements.

You can try the Sachtler Cine DSLR package. Really tied up on my first documentary, so could not respond earlier.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi