PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Flickers

Harold Davis
03-30-2010, 04:20 PM
a BIG thanks to senor alfredo for lending me his gear for this one. it was an absolute pleasure to be able to test drive the MkIV and the 7D last week at Green Cay. this is one of the Mark IV images. i used DNG to convert the Canon RAWs since i didnt have any other way to do it. i'm a Nikon guy.

Mark IV, 500mm + 2x TC, f/8, 1/640s, ISO 1600, +1.3EV. there was virtually no noise in this. crazy good stuff!!

i do wish that the two were separated, but this is the only image i got of both in the frame with proper head angles.

thanks for looking. comments and critiques much appreciated.

Gail Spitler
03-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Harold
I asume that there may have been even more pushing and shoving between these 2 fellows before or after the camera click. Like the composition and 'almost' interaction between them. Great bg. I might try a tighter crop, taking some off the top almost at the color shift line and a bit off the right to lessen the ponderousness of the tree.
Well done
Cheers
Gail

Harold Davis
03-30-2010, 05:03 PM
thanks for the comment, gail. actually these two were busier with a "gang" of european starlings that were moving in on their territory. unfortunately, the starlings won the fight and the flickers have moved on.

Lance Peters
03-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi Harold - dont you go changing to the light side :) LOL
Like this a lot - lovely BG - agree with gail about the crop.
Love the inter action - Good HA'S and eye contact.
Nice one!!

Nicki Gwynn Jones
03-30-2010, 05:08 PM
We Europeans do get everywhere :eek: Ironically starlings are quite rare here now - I never see them.
Beautiful capture which really shows the stunnng plumage off to great advantage. I might be tempted to take a sliver from the right side.
Best,
Nicki

Peter Farrell
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Very nice, Harold. I agree with the crop suggestions mentioned by others, although I think the tree has some intriguing I really like the wind blown feathers on the male, a neat swirl that gives him somewhat of a collar. Also nice to see the yellow shaft.
Peter

Fabs Forns
03-30-2010, 09:42 PM
I think he was kissy kissy :)
I like the proportions as presented, nice to get them both in the frame, because it didn't last long.

Alfred Forns
03-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Glad you like the cameras Harold !!!

Sure was fun while it lasted and real sorry about the birds being evicted !! They put up a good fight but just way many starlings !!

Oscar Zangroniz
03-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Great capture my friend, I also like it as presented. Lots of details on those guys.
Glad you like Al's toys, but listen to Lance's message :D