PDA

View Full Version : Osprey in NJ?

Chris Brennan
03-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Can anyone tell me when the opsrey start showing up in South Jersey and start their breeding and nest-building process? I realize that every year is different but I got some images of them last year right around the end of March beginning of April, primarily at the Edwin Forsythe NWR near Atlantic City.

Susan Liddle
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
In 2008 I witnessed a mating on one of the nests at Forsythe NWR on April 23rd. I have seen Osprey carrying nest material starting about the first week of April. I have yet to see an Osprey at Forsythe this year, but others have seen as many as three there in the past week.

Chris Brennan
03-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info, Susan! I'll probably wait until early next week before heading down.

Dave Woeller
04-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi Chris, My wife and I shot at Forsythe on Friday (4/3/10) Several osprey were busy starting their nests on all 3 legs of the drive. The new stand on the north/south leg provided the best shots for us. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some good results

Chris Brennan
04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi Dave -

I went down to Forsythe yesterday (4-11) morning, and had a nice time with the osprey. There was some activity on most of the platforms with nests or adjacent perches, but little flying or nest building activity. I hope to go down there at least once a week for a while but once the green-heads start :), I'll shift to other locations...

Dave Woeller
04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi Chris, At that time of the morning, if you go to the gull pond before heading out on the drive you'll catch many egrets in the trees, and the rising sun will be in a perfect position. We were there again Saturday, and as you said, the osprey were just perched and posing. It was awful windy also.