PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl

cappoldt
02-26-2008, 03:38 PM
First post here, fine folks (may know a few of ya from other boards) . . .a big hello from Long Island, NY...presently defrosting. Been reading Art's books for years, and putting the knowledge into practice when time allows (ah, my left pinky for another day in the week to devote to stuff I LIKE to do...). Planning another trip to SW Florida, so getting psyched and digging through files from last year's trip. Will post some from that journey, and hope to read tips and suggestions on how to do better this year during the hardcore, three-day excursion.

First up is a burrowing owl, a shot made with a D200, an aging Nikon 300 f4 ED IF w/1.4x, and an SB-800 on a bracket. Cloudy, misty morning after some rains, I missed the sweet light.

Anyone know what Cape Coral's locations are up to (have the SW FL guide update)? This one's from the library site.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/cappoldt/Bowl3.jpg

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Welcome to BPN!
I really like the pose,details and the tight composition!

Blake Shadle
02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Welcome, Chris! Nice work. Because of the "looking back and to the left" head angle, I'd like to see your subject a little further towards the right side of the frame. I also think this crop is tight on the owl's feet. I like the background and you had a good angle on this little guy.

Philip Pietri
02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Welcome! Blake said it all - great image and thanks for sharing it!

Maxis Gamez
02-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi Chris,

Welcome. Ditto what Blake said.

Marina Scarr
02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I was at the sites 2 weeks ago. Other than the library, you can go to the corner of SE 11th Street behind the new City Hall whose address is: 1015 Cultural Park Blvd, Cape Coral 33990. I arrived there at 4. Finally at about 5:15, three owls appeared at 2 different nests. There are about 10 nests in this residential area. You can't miss them b/c they are marked with small posts. Good luck and enjoy.