PDA

View Full Version : Kgalagadi Leopard

Hendri Venter
03-30-2010, 05:11 AM
I captured this female Leopard in Kgalagadi Trasfrontier Park in October last year. She is now the proud mother of two new cubs born in January.

Canon 1D MKIII
Canon 300mm F2.8 + 2xTC
ISO 500
Aperture Priority
F8
SS 640/sec

Steve Kaluski
03-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi Hendri a very striking comp based on the colours, like it a lot because it's not the norm.

I would try to keep the foreground uniform, as its a little patchy in parts especially to the rhs, what is it? I feel the leopard is a little lost in the comp & possibly too central and a slightly tighter version might be better, WDYT? Also, be careful about sharpening too much, as you can see some 'halo' artifacts are appearing along the bridge of the nose.

Great news about the cubs, lets hope she is able to care for them throughout their growing up period.:)

TFS
Steve

Hendri Venter
03-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks Steve. The patchy parts in the FG is OOF grass.

Here is a tighter crop. Do you think its better?

Ken Watkins
03-30-2010, 08:34 AM
I agree with Steve about the tighter crop, as he says the sand looks "odd" in places. Nevertheless this is a different (no tree) and stunning image:)

Our post just crossed.

The repost is better in terms of crop I wonder if the Leopard could be a little sharper or the crop not so severe?

Hendri Venter
03-30-2010, 08:41 AM
No Ken the crop is not that severe but worried about sharpening halos. I will rather work this on my home monitor as its not easy to see sharpening halos on my notebook screen. Thanks anyway.:)

Steve Kaluski
03-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Hendri, it's a difficult one this, partly because of the image and also cropping/framing is a very personal point. I did play with it before posting my comments, however it is interesting the crop you are suggesting.:)

This was my take on it, but still feel it's still not working in all honesty:confused: Still would like to know what the orange is?

Steve

Robert Amoruso
03-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Hendri,

I would go with your second crop but more room in on the left like in Steve's suggested crop.

Stu Bowie
03-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Hi mate, your first repost works for me, with regards to the comp. Definately a fresh face than the norm, as Ken said, not being in a tree. Angle works well, and the sand dune colour compliments the leopard.

Alfred Forns
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Like the tighter crop and would increase contrast in the cat, the sand dune has a bold color !! Different image and like it a lot !!!

Morkel Erasmus
03-30-2010, 03:33 PM
lovely shot mate, can't wait to try and find her and the two cubs in June! love the colour of the sand and look over the dune. repost does it for me. if you want to avoid sharpening halos just select the cat, contract by 2px and feather by 2px, then sharpen your heart out :)

Austin Thomas
03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Another vote for your repost Hendri,

Not the typical Leopard image and I appreciate seeing this animal in a different setting.

tfs

Austin

Hendri Venter
03-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Hendri,
Nice image. I am intrigued by the colour of the sand. I feel the sand takes away lot of attention. Hence, I would have composed with minimal sand ie. only a narrow strip of sand. It is nice that you tried something different. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

philperry
04-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Hendri - great shot. I am quite happy with the original post. Close up is not always better. In the past I have tried for this sort of photo - but putting the leopard at the top of the frame and having more of that wonderfully coloured sand. Works both ways.