PDA

View Full Version : Shooting from a boat

Dan Woodward
03-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Planing a trip to Cape Breton this summer. Will make at least one trip out to shoot Puffins. Two boats are available, a large Zodiac & a 40 foot fishing boat. both claim to be best for photography.Any thoughts, tips or special equipment that I should be thinking about. Only comment Ive heard so far is to take some childrens graval befor i go. Thanks for anyhelp you can give me.:)

Jamie Douglas
03-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi Dan,

What tour are you looking at? I am heading out to Cape Brton in June with my folks but hope to catch a trip out to see the Puffins.

Dan Woodward
03-30-2010, 06:38 AM
Hi Jamie
No specific tour...hope to hear from someone who has gone on one and can comment on it... did cabot trail last fall but was to late for puffins...checked out some tours..boats only allowed to go out if winds are under acertain strength...have to wait for good day...I am leaning to Ingonish at present..less windy...couple of choises there...but am open to sugestions..keep in touch..maybe we can hookup:)

Myer Bornstein
03-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Done a lot of pelagic trips. I use a 80-400 or a 150-500 zoom, manual expose, and carries a smaller lens for up close images.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-30-2010, 08:05 AM
On a boat, tripods are useless because of the vibration of the engine, in other words use lenses that you can comfortably handhold.

Jamie Douglas
03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
I was looking at this site http://www.puffinboattours.com/ last night but there are not many sites that give much info and have photos. Obviously not as popular or competitive as the Bear/Whale tour business out here. Biggest issue with boat tours is that if you only see Puffins on the water photos will be tough unless they are close. Hopefully some folks more familair with the place might know. I think I read somewhere that Al Forns went last year.

Deborah Harrison
04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Based on my experience in zodiacs, these are the ultimate in accessibility and flexibility and stay upright in the roughest waters. However, the most important is to have a good supply of waterproof bags for your equipment. Zodiacs ride close to the water and if you're planning water level shots that would be my preferred choice. Just remember, you'll get soaked, make sure you protect (and insure:D) your gear.

Nancy A Elwood
04-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Dan what lens did you want to use?

Dan Woodward
04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions . will probably take 400 DO an 70 200 2.8

Jamie Douglas
06-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Hi Dan

Did you decide on a tour? I am going to go with http://www.puffinboattours.com/ (http://www.puffinboattours.com/) I think.

Cant see a decent alternative.

Jamie

Alfred Forns
06-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Hi Dan if you go in the inflatable make sure to have protection for the camera/lens On my trip to Witless Bay, Newfoundland I took the Hydrophobia ... great !! Here is a link with the cover being discussed http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65247

From either boat you will be hand holding. If you go with a 500 keep in mind to factor the boat pitching to the effort needed to hand hold !! I did the best with a 400 .. at the time had the 5.6. The DO will be ideal !!!

Dan Woodward
06-07-2010, 06:42 AM
:) Hi Jamie. Not sure on tour boat. Will likely wait until I get down there..see were the wind blows me. I am waiting on canon to repair to my 400DO before I set a firm date...hopefully not to long. When are you going to be in Cape Breton? If you make the tour let me know how it was. Have a great trip...hope the weather gods are with you.

Dan Woodward
06-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Hi Al Thanks for your thoughts on element protecion. have a KATA system right now but havn't used it yet..will let you know how it works out. Checked the link you gave me... good info..never thought of using it on the beach for protection from the sand, makes good sence

Alfred Forns
06-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Hi Dan if you want to know if yours works .... take it to the shower !!! Won't be much different on a little Zodiak if it gets rough !!!

Jamie Douglas
06-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Hi Dan, I am heading out to Cape Breton end of next week. First stop is F1 in Montreal then a few days with the father in law in NB. I will let you know how the tour goes and what the options are. I am going to go with the tour I mentioned above, they use a mid size boat and I don't have a decent cover for my camera so not wanting to tempt a zodiac. The reviews say the tour feed bald eagles from the boat so that sold it for me. The eagles swoop down to pick up fish from the water beside the boat. Gutted I only have a 70-200 though and 2x conv but might be able to get some half decent shots of the puffins on land but in flight will be out of the question unless they come 200mm close :)

Here is a shot I took from a boat last year so the 70-200 and 2x isnt a total lost cause, even though IQ gets lost a little -

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50667&highlight=black+bear+jamie+douglas

Anyway I will be in touch.

Jamie

Oh lord wont you buy me a 400DO