Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50mm
43mm
Exposure compensation +.67
ISO 100
1/8"
F9.0

I tried blurring the background, but I think it is still too noticeable. I
darkened the whole in post processing, and the other typical adjusting. full frame. Window light and a reflector.

Thanks for looking, and any suggestions you may have.

Desmond Chan
03-30-2010, 02:27 AM
I like the colors and the sharpness of the flower, Cheryl. Re the background, I don't find it bothering at all. Right now it kind of look like a patterned background with diagonal lines that, IMO, fit well with the way the flower is leaning. If this were mine, I would try just a little bit more selective blurring, some more darkening of the background (except the lower right hand side) and see what it's like. Or, brighten the lower right and darken the rest of the background until they match :D One thing that I'm not sure though is if this photo should have been taken closer or father away from the flower. :)

Markus Jais
03-30-2010, 04:34 AM
Great light and colors on the flower. Perfect sharpness. I like the composition the the DOF.
BG is ok for me.
Next time, try a longer lens (I prefer the 3.5/180L for such images). That helps the most to control the BG.

Markus

Julie Kenward
03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Beautiful image, Cheryl. The photo is a little small so it's harder to see the BG for my old eyes so I'll concentrate on what I can see. ;)

First, the front petal on the right side is a bit OOF compared to all the others and that is the largest petal showing - it would be nice if that one had more focus and the smaller petal were the OOF one. Also, I love the overall composition that you chose - the diagonal lines are beautiful here - but see how the three stamen on the right almost gets lost behind the main petal? If you had moved a bit to the left or up another step (higher) all of them would be peeking their little heads out and that would have made the comp even more complete IMO.

Hope that helps! You're really coming along so keep shooting and posting! I can definitely see your artistic eye in these images. :)

Cheryl Flory
03-30-2010, 08:17 AM
thank you, Julie, Markus, and Desmond. Your detailed critiques are very helpful! and encouraging. You see and know so much more than I do! Thanks!

Charles Wesley
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Cheryl,

What a beautiful lily photo. Really like your sense of color and artistic approach. Can't add much more. It does help to take several different angles on floral images. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing...

Mike Moats
03-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Hey Cheryl, this is awesome you should be in my flower contest. Love the flow, details, colors and the BG all work well together.