Nikon D-300
12-24 tokina at 24 mm
1/100 sec at f 6.3
ISO 400

Taken In Kenya last september

All comments welcome!

Ed Cordes
03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Nice one Bob. I like the colors and how the road leads my eye through the image. Cool how you can see the rain storm so far away. Only suggestion would be a bit of CW rotation to level the horizon.

Morkel Erasmus
03-29-2010, 11:33 PM
agree on the rotation but a sweet image Bob! lovely "Africa" feel, the road helping to add interest and take you in, I want to go over the horizon! love the stormy mood and simplicity of the acacia tree.

Kobus Tollig
03-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Nit covered. Great shot here. I really like this. Well done

Robert Amoruso
03-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Bob,

Great feel in this image that I have tried to enhance below inthe repost.

I lightened the image using a curves adjustment. I also cropped it from left as I felt including so much left of the tree unbalances the image. You balance is the road and tree with the road acting as a leading line to the BG. I also cropped some from the bottom to give the try and road more dominance in the image.

Possibility better would have been walking right and composing the road and tree further apart to maintain the balance but include more of a wide-angle look like the OP.

I also sharpened the image overall.

Hank Christensen
03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
I like Robert's repost, as I also thought the original was a bit unbalanced. The colors are wonderful - some nice pastels balancing each other.

For composition, I might have walked to the right a bit - to the middle, or possibly even the other side of the road to bring in the road as a stronger foreground element. Right now the soft grasses serve as the foreground, which can work if they are not competing with something strong like the road. (In other words, using a soft foreground like grass all the way across the frame).

I'd also clone out the dirt mounds to the right of the road to balance the image a little more.

This is an interesting image, as its simple elements really would give photographers lots of room to create their own personal vision. Put 10 photographers in that scene and I'm sure you would get 10 very different compositions! Thanks for sharing.

thijs broekkamp
03-31-2010, 03:14 AM
Nice picture with the dark clouds. update is better!

Roman Kurywczak
03-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi Bob,
Very good advice given above and while the repost works better.....moving in the field if possible was the way to go. Right now the OP draws my eye to the RH side of the frame and out....leving 1/3 of the left out of balance.....I know not always possible to move around out there.....makes composing even more difficult than normal!