PDA

View Full Version : Burchell's Sandgrouse

Morkel Erasmus
03-29-2010, 03:46 AM
I am very much behind on processing some bird images from my last 2 trips and therefore not as active on the Avian forum here on BPN as I would like - hope to rectify that ASAP :) :o

I created this image in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park last year. These sandgrouse have quite erratic behaviour and are very skittish of the lanner falcons and bateleur eagles that haunt the waterhole where this was taken.

All comments welcome!

Techs:
Canon 40D with 100-400mm L IS USM @ 260mm
f7.1 @ 1/2500 SS @ ISO-500
Exp +0.3

Tony Whitehead
03-29-2010, 04:57 AM
Good job on difficult birds, Morkel. I like the sharpness and don't mind the overlap of male and female as both heads are clear. The OOF bird echoing the pose is nice. I might crop a little from above and add some below and left if available.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-29-2010, 06:42 AM
I like the incoming poses and light. I would give it more room at the bottom as they seem to land and wish there were less overlap and might remove the bird on the left.

Morkel Erasmus
03-29-2010, 06:43 AM
thanks Tony. I also liked the numbers here instead of a single in-flight bird. They were taking off and flying upwards so I'm happy with the space (I also don't have more at the bottom as far as I recall - will have to look at the RAW file again)

Fabs Forns
03-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Very interesting compo that makes you stare for q while. I like the OOF birds, it looks very painterly. The merging bird is what I don't like, nut they say for compos 3 is better than 2, so there you go :)

Kiran Poonacha
03-29-2010, 12:13 PM
I dont mind the OOF bird, but wished the merged but was out, still great job bhai, nice pose and eye contact..

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Very interesting composition and great timing Morkel. Excellent detail and the OOF bird gives it another dimension. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Dumbleton
03-30-2010, 05:51 AM
Well done on capturing these birds in frame Morkel! I like the OOF bird, just wish the bird behind the in focus bird didnt overlap, but I would have this shot anyday.

Morkel Erasmus
03-30-2010, 07:18 AM
thanks for the comments everyone...I was very happy just to GET this with the combo I was using :)