PDA

View Full Version : Mottled Crab spider

Charissa
03-28-2010, 03:46 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/20f9j0n.jpg
Taken with Canon MPE, f16, ss 250, ISO 100, used Canon ring flash.
Found this one in my garden, spinning a web on this flower, and minding it,s own business.:) All comments and help will be appreciated, to improve on the shot. I removed a few sensor dust spots, sharpened the face a bit and got some white detail back in CR. Thanks for comments and advise.:)

Ken Childs
03-28-2010, 07:56 AM
The comp and subject look really good! The one OOF spot under the spider's palps is a bit distracting but I don't think there's anything that can be done about that. The main problem, IMO, it that it's too dark so I'd try lightening it up.

I wish my local crab spiders were this colorful. :)

Charissa
03-28-2010, 09:28 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2z8n5tj.jpg
Thanks for advise Ken, does this one look better to you?

Desmond Chan
03-28-2010, 07:34 PM
The colors of the spider in the re-post do not look the same as in the original. Hmmm? :confused:

Sharp where it counts. Good behavior shot !

Julie Kenward
03-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Charissa, I don't know what happened to the repost but it does look like your colors went south. I opened your original post and opened the levels adjustment. I slid the white slider in to the 209 mark and the midtone marker to the .87 mark and that popped the whites and darkened the BG a bit more. See what you think...

I do wish that front OOF piece wasn't RIGHT THERE by his face but you still got a bang up pose out of this little guy!

Charissa
03-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Well, i have to laugh, don,t know what went wrong with the re post, think i used brightness and contrast, in stead of level adjustment. Goes to show, nothing goes right if u do it late at night.:-))
Julie, yours is definitely a improvement on both the top ones. Thanks for the advise. I do see a greenish overcast to the re post.......
Thanks all, for comments.

Anita Bower
03-29-2010, 05:58 AM
Interesting looking spider--lovely colors. I like your composition and clarity. Jules' repost seems to have best balance of colors and light. :)

Charissa
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks Anita, appreciate comments.

Vida van der Walt
04-01-2010, 02:36 AM
Lovely shot Charissa! Great detail and angle. Lovely colours and I like the contrast in the repost by Jules except for the fangs that appear too bright.:)

Charissa
04-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Thanks Vida. Appreciate.