PDA

View Full Version : Asiatic elephant herd with calf

Ajit Huilgol
03-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Probably the best place to see large herds of Asiatic elephants in India, is along the Kabini River in Karnataka State. Herds begin to congregate on the banks of the river in March when other sources of water have dried up. This congregation lasts till May and early June when the monsoons arrive and there is plenty of water available everywhere. A herd typically consists of the matriarch and her sisters, daughters and calves. Whenever they sense danger, they surround the calves and form a formidable barrier as can be seen in this image.
Species: Asiatic elephant (Elephas maximus)
Date: March, 2010
Equip: Canon 1D Mlll, Canon 500 f4 lens
Specs: ISO 400, f 7.1, 1/320s, beanbag on vehicle

Thank you for taking the time out to look, and for your comments/critiques.

Ken Watkins
03-28-2010, 12:30 AM
This is a very nice sighting. To my mind the river is a little bright and spoiling the overall serenity of the scene perhaps a little crop from the top would help. I presume you were shooting downhill?

As I would love to visit Nagarhole NP, I would be most interested if you could let me know how the sightings were.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Nice. Moving slightly to the left would have helped in hiding the tree stump. Unfortunately, the vehicles used there result in a high angle. In this case, a lower angle, would have ensured less of water. It is always difficult to compose when there are number of animals, with each one looking at a different direction. However, you have done well. The two birds, myna on the right and the pipit on the left, talks about the relationships.

Ken,
Nagarhole is a nice place. The sightings of leopards is good there. You can also find dholes (cuon alpinus), often mistakenly called as wild dogs. You will also find Gaur (Bos gaurus), often mistaken as Bison.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

David Thomasson
03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Very interesting behavior, especially to a city dweller like me!:cool: I love the soft quality of the light.

I agree with the comments about the brightness of the river and also the stumps in the background. It's pretty straightforward
work to darken the river, remove the stumps, and also open shadow details a little, especially around the calf.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7417/elephantso.jpg

Morkel Erasmus
03-28-2010, 04:15 PM
nice behaviour and light! repost does it for me. I always marvel how these ellies could look so different from our African elephants.

Ed Cordes
03-28-2010, 08:16 PM
The shadow detail in the repost is much better. I like the behavior depicted.

Ken Watkins
03-29-2010, 03:46 AM
David,

Fabulous repost!

David Thomasson
03-29-2010, 06:34 AM
David,

Fabulous repost!

Many thanks.

Hendri Venter
03-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Lovely scene and image. They grouped so nicely together. The ears looks much smaller than the african version.