PDA

View Full Version : Oyster Catcher on the beach

Tim Rucci
03-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Photographed this guy last week on the north beach at Ft De Soto Park in the late evening.
Details: Mk2N, 300 f2.8L IS + 1.4x extender, manual exposure 1/2500 @ f6.3 with flash, slightly cropped.

Hank Christensen
03-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Tim - I think this came out okay considering it looks like the light was behind the bird (either that, or it is very washed out lighting). Probably not the most ideal conditions to be photographing with. The flash looked like it might have been a little too strong - there are specular highlights on the legs that give it away.

The framing is great, but I would have liked the head angle just a little less toward the viewer. That would allow us to see the eye a bit better, and would create more connection with the viewer.

Roman Kurywczak
03-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey Tim,
Having fun with these guys myself! I agree that the flash may have been a tad strong given the light direction. I find the unconventional direction rather interesting because of the BG so I think you were on the right path trying to fill it in.....looks like you'll get plenty more opportunities in the coming weeks and look forward to more!