PDA

View Full Version : Black-Throated Sparrow

Mark Schmitt
03-27-2010, 04:38 PM
This is a bird of very dry, desicated habitats. Though not uncommon, it is a bird one will have to go to specific habitats to photograph.

A recording of the song of this bird was used to pull it in. They respond almost immediately, so grabbing an image and then shutting down the recording is quick.

Self critique: I am pleased with the over-all results of the image with perhaps one exception. There could have been a little more deffinition to the throat (black area); but as I worked with this there was no acceptable results so stayed with this; might have cloned out the cactus spikes protruding from back of bird.

PP: dodge and burn layer on the FG cholla cactus and belly regions of bird; BG promoted to a layer and gausian blur used to smooth it out and reduce noise; cropped with the intent of leaving the cactus in as it is very much part of the birds habitat and, in my oppinon, adds a bit of interest to the image.

Shooting parameters:
Canon 30D
Canonf EF 500 IS L @ 4.0 + 1.4 T/C
Metering: PatternExposure: 1/5000 @ f 7.1; exp. comp -.66: fill in flash + .33
White bal: custom 5050 K
Conditions: Sunny, cool

John Chardine
03-27-2010, 04:46 PM
I like it Mark. There is a nice balance between the bird and its habitat with a great, non-distracting background. The pose and head angle are perfect. I can see lots of detail in the black throat on my monitor. Not sure what ISO you used but there is some noise in the BG and on the bird too, giving the subject a look of subtle "roughness". I am wondering if a little boost of the saturation might give the image a bit more lift. All that said I really like it as is, and I would love to see the bird in person some day!

Dave Hassell
03-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I agree with John that there is a lot of detail in the black throat. The clean background compliments the bird and with it perched on the cholla it makes a lovely habitat image. The excellent focussing shows all the feather detail as well.

Dave.

Dave Leroy
03-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Nicely balanced photo. I like the composition and inclusion of habitat.
I also see some good detail in the blacks.
I also noticed some noise or something in bg, particulary just above where the spikes protrude from bird.
Nicely done.

Dan Brown
03-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Beautiful shot of a nice specimen! I am wondering what ISO this was shot at, as the SS (1/5000) is very high!

Mark Schmitt
03-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks John; very much apprcieated. Sorry I didn't include the ISO in the original EXIF data. It was ISO 500. And, good eye. There is a bit of noise in the BG, will work on that. Thanks again.

Mark Schmitt
03-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Beautiful shot of a nice specimen! I am wondering what ISO this was shot at, as the SS (1/5000) is very high!

Thanks Dan. The ISO was 500 and as I'm still using a Canon 30K this will introduce noise, though I try to reduce it. I don't like some of the third party noise reduction apps.; usually stay within PS suite. ISO 500 was chosen as the conditions warrented it; very windy, though sunny, so blurring would be a problem without the faster SS, so, ISO 500.
Thanks again;)