PDA

View Full Version : Skimming Skimmer

Harold Davis
03-27-2010, 03:59 PM
one from this past week. basic pp.

the bird is going away, but you can still see the eye. does it work for you?

D300, Bigma at 370mm, f/8, 1/2500s, ISO 640, manual exposure.

thanks for looking. comments and critiques much appreciated.

Dave Mills
03-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi Harold, In this case I like the image. One, the lighting is very nice along with good exposure. Secondly,the water trail gives the image alot of interest. Seems minor but adds to the sense of direction.
Guidelines can be broken and in this case I feel it works!

Lance Peters
03-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Mr H - Hope you dont mind - here is what I thought.
Straighten and applied some sharpening to the bird - more details to be coaxed outta that baby.

I like this a lot -the water trail makes it - IMHO.

Jeff Cashdollar
03-27-2010, 10:13 PM
He is skimming, looks alright to me. Wish he was headed your way but seeing him do his thing is interesting - TFS.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
03-28-2010, 07:58 AM
The image work because the line of droplets help leading the viewer eye to the bird's eye. Also the bird is looking directly down at the water and not away from you. Love the exposure with details in black and white too. Still wish that bird is coming or parallel to you though.

Bill Dix
03-28-2010, 08:04 AM
You caught a perfect skimming action, which is tough enough, and the trail of drops helps. Repost, with slightly tighter crop, also helps along with the sharpening. I like it.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Like it Harold and the repost by Lance looks great. Don't mind the bird going away because it is showing a behaviour. Where did you take this?

Harold Davis
03-28-2010, 01:54 PM
thanks for the replies everyone. the bird was going away from me at a diagonal. that's why i left it like that in the original. i thought it was actually stronger, compositionally speaking, like that. i know it breaks the rules, but i still thought it was cool.

jackie, there's a flock not too far down the street from me.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
03-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Harold! I love that the bird is flying away from the viewer - how else are we to see the skimming action?? Go break the rules baby!! :D
Like the additional sharpening!
Best,
Nicki