PDA

View Full Version : I like shrimp

wendell westfall
03-27-2010, 02:10 PM
D70s 70-200VR@175 1/500 f5.6 ISO400 0EV Handheld

Day before yesterday morning I found this Great Blue Heron along the shore of a pond, catching and eating what I guessed to be shrimp (?). He would walk along, dip his beak into the water and come up with something, which he would rub repeatedly against the sandy shore (to remove its outer covering?). I had not seen this behavior before -- I'm still a relative novice at birding. The image is full-frame, uncropped and minimally corrected in Lightroom only. How did I do?

Wendell

Dave Mills
03-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi Wendell, Nice timing with the catch. I noticed a hue within the image and took it out using Niks Remove color caste filter. I also cropped the image and took out a few dust bunnies. I feel the image would of been stronger taken at a lower angle...
Note: When color castes are removed whats determined very often is what the maker feels is close enough to the actual look of the subject at that time.I wasn't there so I'm guessing.

wendell westfall
03-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi Dave: I like your crop! I was standing on a bank and unfortunately could not have got lower. As for hue, what I posted is not substantially different from the other images I took of the same subject . . . Appreciate your suggestions; thanks for looking.

Harold Davis
03-27-2010, 04:05 PM
i like the color in the repost. there's tons of detail in that bird that was revealed by the color change. nice job, dave!

too bad you couldnt get lower. you may could have joined him for a shrimp cocktail!:)

Lance Peters
03-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi Wendell - Daves repost does look better - interesting behaviour - love the action and only a lower shooting angle could improve - understand that was not possible.
TFS