PDA

View Full Version : Hard Worker

Steve Large
03-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi Everyone,
I came accross this Pileated Woodpecker excavating its nesting hole. Thought the whimsical look he gave me was kind of funny so I decided to post it. Normally I don't have my subjects in the center of the photo but I thought that the hole and surrounding bark framed his face quite nicely.

Stats: Canon 50D, 500mm F/4 +1.4X, ISO 800, 1/100 sec at F/8

Hope you enjoy your weekend. Thanks for your comments,

Steve

Scott Frye
03-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Great shot -- thanks for thinking out of the box -- you even managed to get a catchlight in one of the eyes. I really like the natural frame of the tree

Tony Whitehead
03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Centred comp works well on this one, Steve. A little fill flash may have brought a bit of detail into the shaded area and made the head seem less disembodied. Eye contact and cocked head give it a nice feel.

thijs broekkamp
03-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Nice picture. I don't know about the black area. In a way its kind of beautifull, but what tony says it looks disembodied. I think there is a bit movent unsharpness in the head?

Dave Leroy
03-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Good find and an interesting pose.
Good idea about the fill flash.
I imagine you will be back now that you know the spot.

Steve Large
03-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your comments. I have a better beamer but I didn't use it because I didn't want to freak the Pileated Woodpeckers out too much early in the nest building so I decided to go for natural light this time. I want them to feel comfortable so that they will not be spooked away from this nesting spot as it is a great location for photos. Stay tuned for more shots in the future (hopefully when the chicks hatch and the feeding frenzie starts).

Take care,

Steve