PDA

View Full Version : Home Alone

Fabs Forns
02-26-2008, 09:43 AM
The chick's first day by himself could be a very hard life experience, specially during a thunderstorm.
Our friend here was looking like the picture of misery, mom and Dad decided it was time for him to start to detach, and they couldn't have picked a worst time...the poor dear was desolate...

Mom came after the storm, but paid no attention to his cries and after a few minutes in the nest, she perched in a tree nearby, the beginning of the detachment stage, I guess. My heart went out to the chick, but such is life.

D300, 200-400/4
f/ 5.6, 1/500, ISO 800
Manual mode, flash TTL

Grace Scalzo
02-26-2008, 09:51 AM
What a sad looking creature. Well done, Fabs. (Did you get as soaked as this chick during the creation of the image?)

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Love the caption Fab and the background history. Growing up can be a little tough and especially when the storms come. Quite a parallel here !!!! Great capture with an incredible mood in this image. Excellent work !!!

Fabs Forns
02-26-2008, 10:07 AM
What a sad looking creature. Well done, Fabs. (Did you get as soaked as this chick during the creation of the image?)

Thanks, Grace.
No, we were under the Gazebo at Wako with the students :)

Thanks both :)

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Great moment Fabs,excellent in all respects!

Jim Poor
02-26-2008, 11:47 AM
What an image and the narration makes it even more so. I almost cried. Perfectly techs and full of feeling.

Steve Wheeler
02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Wonderful image... The chick looks fairly miserable. IMO and in a perfect world I think removal of the sticks in the immediate BG would have added to the feeling of isolation... Curious what others might think of that idea.

Still a great image that relays a story!

Steve

Fabs Forns
02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Wonderful image... The chick looks fairly miserable. IMO and in a perfect world I think removal of the sticks in the immediate BG would have added to the feeling of isolation... Curious what others might think of that idea.

Still a great image that relays a story!

Steve

Steve, thanks for your idea, it makes sense, but in a way, a nest never looks clean and without branches, that's why I left them there :)

Thanks everyone for your comments!

David Chauvin
02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
He does look miserable. The blurred drops tell the story.

garyyoss
02-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Fabs,
I met you on Sunday morning before your workshop. When do the chicks leave their nests and fen for themselves?
Gary

Bonnie Block
02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
OMG--Fabs! I have never seen anything like this. You have captured the mood and conditions so perfectly. My hope is that it really was not quite as miserable as portrayed here! (I hope!)
Great image--excellent work.

Krijn Trimbos
02-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Yup the mood certainly makes this shot! The rain and scruffy look of this juvi add to the shot. The only tiny nit is the little lighter twig at the bottom right. Great shot otherwise.

David Steele
02-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Fabulous work Fabs.