PDA

View Full Version : Orange-crowned Warbler

Gus Hallgren
03-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Hi Folks

A few people have never seen the Orange on top of the head of this bird, and while I have a photo with it very prominent, the bird is looking down. I like this photo as it still shows the Orange Crown.

This photo was a JPG cropped about 70% and resized in ACDSee, then saved to BPN specs in CS4, no sharpening. I shoot both RAW & Large Superfine (JPG's usuallt 7+-8+mb)

CC's warmly invited, and redo improvements as well.

You will have lots to talk about, and I'm looking forward to learning more about "It's Art."
Easiest fix will be shadow of beak . . . ? And recrop for more room on RHS and take perch out of corner.

Best regards

Uncle Gus

Olympus E-620 IS, Zuiko 70 - 300 @ 600mm equiv, HH
AP: F/5.6, 1/800s, ISO 400, 0.70 eV, Auto WB
As Olympus is not the best kid in the block when using ISO 400 & above re noise. Please comment on it.

Lance Peters
03-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi Gus - will withold my thoughts until our brothers and sisters have had a say :)

Bob Decker
03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi Gus. Pretty little bird. A bit of sharpening on the bird would help. Also, some noise reduction on the background might be an improvement. Looks like there's plenty of detail, good exposure, etc. A little more tweaking could make it a winner.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Like the pose Gus. Was it a large crop, just looks a little soft. Would clone out the black spot behind the bird.:)

Alfred Forns
03-26-2010, 10:52 PM
There are a couple more things to look at in this image, will wait and come back later !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
03-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Also could use some NR.

Dave Mills
03-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Gus, I agree with comments made and would add cropping the bud off the left side.

Gus Hallgren
03-26-2010, 11:55 PM
WOW :) Interesting, here's a better crop with room to give a good composistion, If possible would like your sharpening specs. I will use Imagenomic Noiseware Pro and CS4 sharpening tools.

Thanks for all your replies, and looking forward to more specifics.

So far I opened it in ACDSee, saved as Tiff, cropped at about 75% of original, took ninto CS4, File>Automatic>Fit Image>W 1024 H 800. Then File>Save For Web & Devices>Manipulated quality for highest under 200K

My memory is beginning to feel like my eyes and ears . . . Poor, as in first post I gave it a Curves>default pass >medium contrast

Best regards

Uncle Gus

Gus Hallgren
03-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi Folks

Here's my version directly from last post.

Uncle Gus

Gus Hallgren
03-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi Folks

And here is final crop, prportioned to fit 5.5 in X 4.25 in Note Cards.

Which I like.

Keep smiling

Uncle Gus

Desmond Chan
03-27-2010, 02:10 PM
I find your last two re-post too bright and the contrast too low. Some of the details that were in the original are now gone. Of all posted, I think I have to choose the second one. The bird somehow also looks soft on my monitor.

Cute bird !

Gus Hallgren
03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Hi Desmond

Thanks for looking. Now that you mentioned it, I agree with you 100%. Was hoping someone would come along & show me how it should look.

Here's my last try. Over sharpened ???????

Uncle Gus

Harold Davis
03-27-2010, 04:37 PM
hey UG, i like the second to the last post with maybe a little density thrown into it. add some black to the midtones and highlights might do the trick. that's some really nice work there and will definitely make a nice note card!!!!