PDA

View Full Version : Cassin's Finch

Nancy Bell
03-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Male Cassin's Finch. The bright red crown feathers are erectile and I watched as the males raised and lowered their head feathers in reaction to each other and tried to capture that. It makes sense that such brilliant feathers can be used as some sort of communication, maybe territorial and/or for mate attraction. Photographed in aspen trees near my birdfeeders from an open window. It is still winter here at 8,000 ft with too much snow and much too cold to stand outside for long:). The Cassin's Finch is usually my most abundant bird yard bird in the fall and winter.
Canon 40D, Canon 400 f4 DO IS lens, 1.4 x
Manual exposure, ISO 400, 1/500, f5.6

Comments, critiques and instruction welcome!

Dave Leroy
03-26-2010, 05:17 PM
So that is what they look like. I find the finches hard to tell apart.

Nicely exposed and I like the feel of cold winter and the soft light.

I might take just a little bit from top and for some reason, perhaps because the tree is leaning left, I might add some on left.

Nice and sharp.

denise ippolito
03-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Nancy, Congrats on the new lens! I like the details and the soft light. The BG tree adds some interest to me. I'm not crazy about the birds position in the frame- it seems a bit centered.:)

Nancy Bell
03-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I agree about the bird being centered. Should I add more to the left? Would that not put too much white BG in the image? I am LOVING this new lens!

denise ippolito
03-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Nancy, I do see your dilemma. Good thing is- it's your own backyard and the birds are plentiful. :)