PDA

View Full Version : Looks into my eyes

Don Lacy
03-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Now this is what i call eye contact, image made at Gatorland after Mike made a joke about the HAP.

40D, 500 f/4 + 25 mm Ext Tube + 1.4 TC, 1/640 at f/ 7.1, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metered, ISO 400, RAW, Tripod, Small Crop

Stu Bowie
03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Don, pretty good detail in those whites, and this is really pin. I would like to see the same detail on a full portrait shot.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Don, excellent details and exposure. Liked the comp as well. Excellent job of getting the sensor perfectly parallel to the bird. Otherwise, I think f/7.1 would have not been enough at that close distance. Thx for sharing.

Sid Garige
03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Don,

There is a new sheriff in town. Eyeball police. (EBP)

He would like to see eyeball parallel to film plane.:D.

Don Lacy
03-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Don,

There is a new sheriff in town. Eyeball police. (EBP)

He would like to see eyeball parallel to film plane.:D.
I was wondering who would make that comment:D I agree almost perfect

Rodney Flowers
03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I love the detail in the picture and how the head and bill fit into the frame. That is perfect IMO. I'm a member of the eyeball police on this one. If you don't have APTATs 1 it might be worth buying. You can learn how to realign the eyeball. It would be worth a try for this image IMO.

Myer Bornstein
03-26-2010, 12:07 PM
since heron look forward down their beak to find food Do you really want to realign the eye?

Don Lacy
03-26-2010, 12:32 PM
since heron look forward down their beak to find food Do you really want to realign the eye?
The image works for me as is for that reason, if the eye was parallel it would have more of a connection to the viewer and be a different image maybe not stronger but different.

Rodney Flowers
03-26-2010, 01:06 PM
This is a good point, but the answer for me would still be yes because that is what I like in a close up. The reason I like the eye looking straight at the viewer in a closeup is because the viewer cannot tell if the bird is actually fishing or just looking around and also because I feel it makes the closeup more personal. If it were not a closeup and more of a behavior shot then my opinion might be different.

The image works for me as is for that reason, if the eye was parallel it would have more of a connection to the viewer and be a different image maybe not stronger but different.
Of course after all veiwponts are discussed the most important thing is that you know why the image does or does not work you. And it looks like you have that figured out Don:).

Jeff Cashdollar
03-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Nice job creating a different look with the 500 and extension tube - very creative.

Dave Leroy
03-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Love the details and really nice job on the colours.