PDA

View Full Version : Barnegat Light

Nick Palmieri
03-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Took this last week while "Roamin with Roman" and walking back to the car after a few hours of bird shooting. Roman was trying to give me a lesson in shooting landscapes with his 800mm and my 600mm but the lighthouse was a little tight(haha)... luckily I had my 24-105mm. This was shot with my camera placed on my bag sitting on some rocks. I loved the light on the sand but keep questioning if the contrast and color look okay...Opinions appreciated...Canon EOS 40D, SS 2s., f/16, ISO 100. Unfortunately my camera froze with an err99 after this shot which Canon fortunately fixed in two short days.

Roman Kurywczak
03-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey Nick,
You're killing me......your image is only around 35KB......tough to work on!......but I tried anyway. Let's just say I darkened it with 2 layers.....one for sky and one for FG......sky minus on brightness and sand a levels adjustment....mostly to midtones as the blacks already looked muddy. Did a slight crop off bottom as I wanted to bring the lighthouse down in the frame and then in Selective color.....added blues....quite a bit. This gave more depth to the sand and the sky as it was a bit overall on the yellowish side. More closer to what we saw wouldn't you say!
PS.....Now I'm going to have to post my landscape with the Sigmonster!

Dave Mills
03-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Hi Nick, Roman did a good job of darkening and toning the image bringing out more color and warmth. I played with some crops and found since the image is so heavily weighted to the right that cropping out most of the left and making this a verical IMO makes for a stronger image.

Robert Amoruso
03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
I like Dave's vertical recommendation.

Jeff Cashdollar
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Would like to see it as Dave suggested, do like the original and Roman's repost too.

Nice job with rocks anchoring the FG.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
03-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Looks like Roman is getting you on the right path