PDA

View Full Version : Black Oystercatchers?

Brian Kersey
02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Where in Socal can I find a black oystercatcher? I live in Orange County for the closer to that the better.

John Hannan
02-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi, I saw them at White Point in August last year - White Point a few miles north of Cabrillo Beach. If you use Mapquest and put in the following address 3720 Stephen M White Dr. San Pedro, CA 90731 you will find them. At low tide you can walk out on the rocks and get fairly close. Good luck,

John

Brian Kersey
02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks a lot John. I really appreciate it.

Robert O'Toole
02-28-2008, 09:54 AM
I have photographed them in LaJolla near the green patch last year. Hope this helps. I would post the image but I dont have it on this HDD.

Robert

Brian Kersey
02-28-2008, 05:25 PM
thanks rob.

Steve Metildi
03-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I had good luck on the breakwaters at Marina del Rey. I've heard they are regulars at that spot.

Steve

BJ Stacey
03-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Brian,
There are a few that show on the rocks at Cabrillo National Park on the end of Point Loma in San Diego. There is even one that looks like a hybrid with an American Oystercatcher. Go to the second tidepool overlook and they are frequently below you. Not a great angle, but usually pretty reliable. Here are some shots I took last fall (the last time I went looking for them) http://www.finatic-photography.com/birds/blackoyster/index.html Others have posted on a birding forum that they have been spotted recently. There is a colony of them on the Coronado Islands just to the south and many migrate up for the day.

Good luck,

BJ Stacey

Brian Kersey
03-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I just got back from White Point and got plenty of them! Thanks guys :)

Taken today

Bob Allen
06-01-2008, 10:01 AM
They also shown up at Laguna Beach lately. If you're local and you want to receive notice of bird sightings, you might want to join Orange County Birding. I am the co-moderator.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OrangeCountyBirding/