PDA

View Full Version : banded coral shrimp

Martin Wallis
03-26-2010, 12:15 AM
I've cropped about a 3rd off this one. Shot diving at the Poor Knights, New Zealand's premier dive spot. It came out a little yellow and I adjusted the white balance. I think the colouration is as it was. RAW file is sharper than the preview. I've noticed when I resize the converted Jpeg for this site I lose sharpness. Should I resize before I convert? Cheers
canon 40d
canon 60mm 2.8 macro
twin ikelite strobes set to TTL
1/250 @ f13
ISO 100

Todd Frost
03-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Dose look a little soft as mentioned. You should apply a little sharpening (as needed) after you resize for posting. Check in the tutorial thread, there is a wealth of info on this site. Love all the colors. Keep them coming. TFS
Todd

Alfred Forns
03-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi Martin Agree with Todd We have several tutorials on how to save without quality loss, about the only imags that seem to suffer are the mega large pano images !!!

Tech wise I would stop down lots more and lower the shutter speed, with the film day we only had 1/60 and they came out mighty nice !! Will have a hint of light for the bg and lots dof !!

I like the idea of going real tight but some of the legs look more clipped than cut, might go slightly tighter at the bottom. Colors came out real nice and accurate and exposure looks fine !!! .. with a 60 you must have been really close to this shrimp !!! Oh forgot the digital factor and its close to a 105 lens :)

Martin Wallis
03-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys, I'll go to the tutorials (keep forgetting they exist). Alfred, I used to do a lot of uw macro shooting at around 1/60 & f22 but found that 9 out of 10 weren't sharp at all. It may have been my movement at the SS, but I thought it was by being at f22. Since using 1/250 and between f8 to f13, my shots have been a lot sharper for whatever reason:D
Cheers

Alfred Forns
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi Martin ... the sync speed I had available with the old cameras was low :( I'm sure it can make a difference, particularly with any current or in shallow water !!!

Remember you can crank up the ISO and stop down more.... just don't under expose UW is tough since we usually have dark areas !!