PDA

View Full Version : IN MEMORY of These Little Rascals

Marina Scarr
03-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Learned today that these two little rascals which I photographed on Tuesday morning at one day of age have vanished. Neither they or the adults are anywhere to be found. I thought I'd post a picture of one of their first little squabbles in their honor. When we are photographing and witnessing such joy, we sometimes forget that nature can be cruel.

Canon 1D3, Canon 400 & 1.4 @ 560mm
F8, 1/2000sec, ISO 400, manual mode
Hand held

Marina

Ofer Levy
03-25-2010, 09:58 PM
What a lovely moment captured here Marina!!! Would apply some noise reduction on the BG and also try to present this closer to a standard horizontal rather than a square.

Troy Lim
03-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Oh that was sad. I was hoping to photograph them again this weekend. Sad.

A_Maddah
03-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi Marina
Lovely shot.They are very nice .superb timing.TFS

Asad

susanschermer
03-26-2010, 06:43 AM
How sad, Marina, and how adorable they are. Nice memorial.

Phil Seu
03-26-2010, 07:56 AM
beautiful image. love the feather details

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Marina, nicely captured. Your choice of aperture was very good here IMO. There is decent DOF and separation from BG.

Jim Neiger
03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Learned today that these two little rascals which I photographed on Tuesday morning at one day of age have vanished. Neither they or the adults are anywhere to be found. I thought I'd post a picture of one of their first little squabbles in their honor. When we are photographing and witnessing such joy, we sometimes forget that nature can be cruel.

Canon 1D3, Canon 400 & 1.4 @ 560mm
F8, 1/2000sec, ISO 400, manual mode
Hand held

Marina

Marina,

I would speculate that the Cranes were foraging somewhere in the area. They will leave the nest and travel some distance typically the day after the second chick hatches. They may be just fine, but not present at the nest when you were there. The eggs usually hatch one or two days apart and one chick is likely at least a day older than the other.

Marina Scarr
03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
I would speculate that the Cranes were foraging somewhere in the area. They will leave the nest and travel some distance typically the day after the second chick hatches. They may be just fine, but not present at the nest when you were there. The eggs usually hatch one or two days apart and one chick is likely at least a day older than the other.

Hi Jim:

I wish this were true. An expert birder was present at the nest well before sun up and no birds were present at the nest. As you know, it would be unusual for a SHC family not to be at the nest before sun up on Day 4...nor were they anywhere within a 1/2 mile radius. No one has seen them since Wed.

:(

Myer Bornstein
03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Nice capture sharp a keeper

Doug Brown
03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Nice image Marina. Sorry to hear about the loss of the chicks.