PDA

View Full Version : Resting Ibsis

Cecil Kirksey
03-25-2010, 08:32 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MfWtUK-sTe4/S6wKa8CM_TI/AAAAAAAAAu4/fdtkxHdevNE/s576/IMG_3506_crop_bpn.JPG

I caught this shot while walking around retention ponds in the neighborhood. It was partly cloudy, midafternoon. I waited until the sun was behind a cloud and got very nice light.
20D
400mm f/5.6 L
f#:6.3
Av mode
SS: 1/500
ISO:200
Slight crop and standard pp in DPP.

Daniel Cadieux
03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Looks like this guy is having a relaxing time up there up his perch! Yes, photographing in overcast conditions is good for these bright white plumages. You've exposed those whites properly.

As posted I would have moved your lens down and left. This would have prevented the bottom of the perch being cut out of the frame's edge, and given more room in front of where the ibis is looking towards (even if the body is pointed the other way). Perhaps warming the image a bit would be good too.

Although focus lokos spot-on, as presented the image looks a bit soft. Looks like compression artefacts so perhaps your resizing method has given it this look...

Phil Ertel
03-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I like the peaceful mode. I also like that there is eye contact. Daniel offered a good critique. I hope you do not mind but took your image into photoshop and tried reconstructing the branch and warming it up a little. I also lightened, increased contrast, and toned down the light spots of light in the background. I am sure you could do a better job of it this with the original and more time and care. Thanks for sharing.

Cecil Kirksey
03-28-2010, 08:30 AM
No problem. Actually the perch is caught in the image but I do not remember now why I cropped it in this manner. I will go back and see what I can do. I did not do anything special for resizing here. It was the original JPEG downsized in PSE. My PSE skills are way below normal I think. I prefer to do just minor cloning otherwise the presented image may give the incorrect impression of a great shot.

On this shot I moved around alot to try to avoid branches interferring with the shot. Once I had a clear shot the background was what it was. To me that is realty. As a amateur photographer my goal is to get the technical details correct including composition. Things that are in my direct control. Background, HA, clutter etc is not something I have control over except by moving or not taking the shot. For this shot I was grateful to get teh light right.

Again thanks for thr fedback. I will rework the image alittle.